Custom electrical extension cord with shelly

Hello,

I have an extension cord like this that I need to turn on to turn on my TV, speakers etc :

Do you think it is possible to modify it to be able to turn it on via wifi with a shelly AND the button (I would like to be able to turn it on via the button OR via the shelly controlled by home assisstant)?

Has anyone done something similar?

The shelly I own:

https://www.amazon.fr/Lot-de-4-Shelly-1/dp/B086H1FRPZ

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Hello

Answer/Other suggestion please ?

Thanks

Hello again,

Any advice/suggestion ?

Thanks.

You certainly can do that, but there are a lot of safety considerations with wiring, insulation and load restrictions. If you can’t figure out how to do it yourself without asking here, I’d suggest getting the help of a professional.

I have a Shelly 1 running a light — controlled by HA from a motion sensor, and with the normal light switch connected to the Shelly as an “on” override. Works very well, although I have flashed it with ESPHome.

Good morning!

In principle this is possible. However, you should have some knowledge of electronics. If you make mistakes and cause a fire, for example, it becomes problematic. In Germany, this can mean that you lose your insurance cover. That in advance only as a disclaimer.

You can certainly build the Shelly into the cable. However, the existing switch on the cable will probably no longer be useful. I assume that it switches/interrupts the phase and thus only works independently of the Shelly.

It would probably be easier if you just buy a Shelly Plug and plug the connector strip in there.

After discussion with a friend, the easiest solution would be to change the extension cord and get one without a button. Buy a connected plug and a connected button, then interface the two together.

When I press the button, it turns on the connected plug, or directly turn on the connected plug via my smartphone without using the connected button.

No DIY and more secure, what do you think? Any suggestions for cheap Home Assistant compatible buttons/connected plugs?

Thanks again !

What about just replacing it with a smart extension, similar to this. Looks like Tuya so the tuya integration should work with it.

I have a similar (UK) one and installed ESPHOME onto it (needed to open it up to do it, not 100% you can convert all).

https://www.amazon.fr/s?k=smart+power+strip

Could be an idea, I’ll give it a look, thank you !

Or a Shelly directly in the wall socket, and a smart button to turn it on/off ? Which compatible Home Assistant Button do you recommand ? I think this one should work, right ?

Yes that’ll work, I have a few of those buttons, work fine.

You could just use a plug in smart plug instead of the Shelly, save any wiring changes