Like many of us, I love HA - being an avid maker and tinkerer means that HA is the perfect platform for new projects.
I also design products for fun and have been working on something which I personally think is pretty cool, and it would be great to get your feedback as it is specifically designed for the HA community.
This is a bedside table, kitchen worktop or living room shelf piece of furniture where technology meets the traditional craftsmanship of carpentry. Here are some mock up brochures I have produced -
Hopefully this is clear what I am trying to produce. It may be important to note that I have the tools and experience needed to actually produce these as well :-D!
Here is question time
- What do you think? Please be honest but kind
- Would YOU buy this?
- Would you support this on KickStarter or a similar platform if I were to launch it?
- How much would you be willing to pay for it?
- What would you improve? Add? Remove?
- How would you like to see this project? (Open-Source, Complete Closed Product, Kit Form)
Your feedback is really appreciated, and it helps me as a maker grow and hopefully, one day, add something cool to the community!
Edit: and if anyone wants more renders or info, please just ask! There would of course be software/firmware with this to get it connected nice and easily.
Edit: So, there were some questions like - what does it do and why would I need this so let me try to add the answers here
It is primarily designed for a bedside table.
I designed this to build for my wife mainly - we, as tinkerers, also have other people in our households sometimes (wife, husband, partner, kids.etc.) who, like my wife, probably don’t love technology and gadgets as much as we do. My wife never has her phone on her but there are automations on the system that would really help her.
For example, the button on the left - the light, would switch on the bedroom lamps. The middle button would turn the heating up 1 degree for a certain period of time (this could even be defined using the turn knob), the last one is the one we use every night - Night Time Mode - it is an automation that is linked to a Widget on my phone and a button on my HA Dash. It switches off all the lights in the house and sets the alarm. We use this every night…well…I use it every night.
I always have my phone and normally at least 1 laptop with me at all times (toilet included), my wife does not. She sometimes leaves home without her phone. This doesn’t fit well with our automations as you can imagine.
What does it do?
Well, this is just a mock-up to show some examples, but you have an OLED and a TFT to display whatever you want. The hardware is the simple part, the hard part would be the customization software to go with it. but here are some ideas
- Display a certain entity in the small Oled (CPU Temp, Load, Alarm Status, Temp.etc)
- Wireless charging with a battery level indicator in the small Oled Display
- Control basic components - heating, arm the alarm, lights, automations.etc.
- Have a larger TFT, again which can be customized displaying more information, maybe in graph form or as graphical images
- The LED at the bottom acts as a Bedside lamp
- Sensors to automate the room, for example the PIR could be used to switch the displays on.
- A one box for all that looks nice and isn’t another “lump of plastic crap”