Custom Header

You can update and a few things may still work. May be able to get it fully working by tweaking some of the advanced styling features, but there is most likely a bug that causes cards to be rendered multiple times and that will degrade performance.

The decision wasn’t an easy one for sure, but for the amount of work in support, issues, fixes on updates, and the handful of times that CH caused issues for other custom projects or the HA team…it’s the right decision.

I fully encourage others to create projects to fill in the gaps, but don’t make the same mistake I did. Keep them simple, like a single project for a kiosk mode or one project for dynamically hiding tabs based on javascript templates (don’t use jinja in the frontend), etc, etc.

3 Likes

ok thanks Ryan, took the jump, and as far as I can see, everything still works just fine :wink: pfff, gives some slack to make adjustments if and when the need arises.
Wishing you all the best with future projects, and hope to see many of them!

1 Like

Thanks for all your ongoing hard work.
As mentioned above it felt such a part of core HA, that I forgot to raise it in WTH.

That said excited what your wizardry will bring to HA core!

Hope you get some well-earned downtime too!

fawwwwwwwk…this thing was very powerful…tis a sad day, but good thing you’re not completely leaving us. Thanks for your work on CH…now the search for replacements begins.

2 Likes

OMG, I’m using CH everywhere! it’s so sad to see you closed the project but it’s your decision and we appreciate all your hard work. from what I used the most out of CH was hiding the header and having different group of tab visibility for different people. hopefully you will bring those features into the core frontend.

1 Like

It looks like it’s only a few lines of css to hide the header. You can use something like Stylus to customize the css on whatever browser you want.

app-header, app-toolbar {
  display: none;
}
ha-app-layout#layout #contentContainer {
  padding-top: 0px !important;
}
8 Likes

May also need to adjust the height of hui-view, hui-panel-view, or hui-masonry-view if you use background images or if your cards aren’t filling the entire space.

1 Like

It really sucks to to see this go. I’ll add my thanks for the work you put in to this.

On a related note…

Besides shrinking the header and eliminating extraneous fluff the only other things I use CH for is to show only certain tabs based on the user logged in and for my user I use it to hide tabs based on a boolean I set for testing and setup of those other users tabs.

I guess since CH was so convenient for that I haven’t kept up on built-in Lovelace capabilities.

So the question is - is there way to get that same functionality (users only seeing certain tabs) built-in to lovelace?

I’m assuming from the comment above about the ability to hide tabs dynamically that that isn’t possible right now without CH?

2 Likes

Hi, just want to confirm on the removal steps. I installed the CH from the HACS and I’m not using ui-lovelace.yaml and the CH settings was done using the custom header UI. How I do delete the CH config then?

Delete the CH config from ui-lovelace.yaml (and any other views).

@mayker, thank you for your great work on the CH. Hopefully in future, it will be part of the core component of HA.

Thanks.

That’s too bad. I rely on CH to control which Lovelace pages my kid’s ipad displays in the application,m based on the login. Anyone know if there’s another way to do this without CH?

1 Like

@KCYeoh top right button, hit edit dashboard, top right button again, hit raw config editor, find the custom_header: portion and delete it.

@Juliean_Galak @finity There is a built in way of hiding tabs based on user:

Also at the top of that page in the dashboards section, it explains how to make an entire dashboard that’s only available to admin users. require_admin

5 Likes

Thank you for your work in keeping this going this long. Could you by chance list which features are becoming standard in HA so people can decide next steps? (Your post mentions some features becoming obsolete.) Is there another way to hide the header in a dashboard?

2 Likes

The features I mention that are obsolete you can see above, hiding tabs/dashboards based on user, another one would be the built in method of hiding the sidebar. There are currently no other ways to hide the header or have a kiosk mode, though I’m sure someone will make something to replace those features.

I cannot speak to what might be coming in HA’s future, I can suggest things and make PRs, but they may or may not make it into HA.

As others have mentioned, CH seems to be working for them in 0.116. If that works for you too then continue to use it until such time that it breaks (or remain on 0.115x or 0.116) and wait until someone makes a replacement for the feature you’re looking for, or just don’t update HA at all until that happens.

@mayker Thank you for all of your work. It is truly appreciated. Now I’m gonna go curl up in a ball and cry.

3 Likes

I was never a big fan of custom header… because in my opionion most of it’s feature should be in HA many versions ago :wink:
I wait for them to show up natively too…

Good luck on other projects!

1 Like

indeed, this is the only thing i use :

custom_header:                             
  hide_header: true

if someone can post an alternative :slight_smile:

9 Likes

That’s all I need too…

That is very sad :frowning: But anyways: Thank you very much for the effort mayker! I used it since the beginning of “Custom Compact Header” and I can’t imagine how much work it must have been, maintaining that beast!
I hope there will be a native solution soon - I really don’t like the original header:

1 Like

too bad that WTH wasnt implemented :slight_smile:

1 Like

sad to hear that. @mayker thank you for all your effort
All I need is only the

custom_header:
compact_mode: true

1 Like