Custom Integration - Control christmas lights show in HA (FPP and xLights)

If you have a Christmas show and you would like to be able to manage it from Home Assistant, then I have two integrations for you that allow you to do this without much difficulty.

The first integration for Falcon Pi Player (FPP): GitHub - Aleks130699/ha-fpp: Integrates a Falcon Pi Player (FPP) as a Media Player in HomeAssistant
And the second integration for xLights Schedule: GitHub - Aleks130699/ha-xlights: Integrates a Light sequencer and Show scheduler (xLights) as a Media Player in HomeAssistant

These integrations have similar capabilities only the software that you use differs/

These integrations create a media player with the following functionality:

Features:

• View current playing sequence and playlist
  • List all available playlist and sequences as sources
  • Start a playlist or sequence
  • Stop a playlist or sequence
  • Set or step the player volume
  • Next a sequence
  • Prev a sequence
  • Pause a sequence
  • Resume a sequence
  • Seek a sequence

Thanks for this integration!

Would there be any way to add the currently playing file? I’d like to trigger automations based on where I’m at within a playlist, so giving HA access to which file is playing would be great!

This integration already allows you to get information about the file being played, its total length and the current playback position, all this data is in the player’s atrebuts, you can view them through the developer panel

For some reason I am not finding your integration in HACS? Could I be searching for the wrong thing?

Add GitHub - Aleks130699/ha-fpp: Integrates a Falcon Pi Player (FPP) as a Media Player in HomeAssistant to HACS as a custom repository.

After adding it, and trying to reboot, it won’t reboot and I get the message :

Platform error media_player.falcon_pi_player - Requirements for falcon_pi_player not found: ['requests==2.25.1'].

Any ideas ?

Has anyone tried this lately? I checked and the requirements issue seems fixed, and the fpp/falcon_pi_player domain issue seems fixed, but for whatever reason I can’t get anything to load after adding the lines to my yaml. I don’t even get an error, HA just ignores it.

Yes, I’ve installed this today and it only works if I control the media player with services calls. I don’t see the Media Player if I add a Media Player Card for example.

1 Like

So, new(er) to Home Assistant. Love that this has an integration for FPP for us light show nerds. What I’m needing though, is to be able to use my Player FPP as a condition for some automations. Example condition is “IF FPP is stopped” to allow an automation to run. I have an automation that if the front door opens at night, the entry way light turns on. I’m looking to have it monitor for FPP to not be playing to execute this automation. Basically, if my show is playing, keep the lights off. Any ideas?

Can someone clarify how to get it to play?

I’m using a integration from HACS that sets it up as a media player. So then it’s just.

alias: LightShow Ends Turn Lights On
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id:
      - media_player.fpp_master
    to: idle
condition: []
action:
  - service: light.turn_on
    data: {}
    target:
      entity_id:
        - light.wiz_rgbw_tunable_ecbc74
        - light.wiz_rgbw_tunable_ee0ba0
        - light.wiz_rgbw_tunable_eb9102
        - light.security_lights
mode: single

If you are close to the Florida Mega Mini or California mini this year i’m teaching a HA / FPP class.

If you are close to the Florida Mega Mini or California mini this year i’m teaching a HA / FPP class.