Custom Integration: Linksys Velop

The card YAML on GitHub should now have the fixes in. I’ve just pushed 2022.8.1b4 as well. All it contained was the changes to the cards.

1 Like

2022.8.1b5 should hopefully handle the IPv6 problem that was causing some details to be missing in the Online Devices sensor. Whilst the card 2 YAML in 2022.8.1b4 masked the issue (it checked for the properites and displayed a - if it wasn’t available), this version (hopefully as I have no IPv6 in my network to test with so relied on a log from @judetf) should now show the IPv6 address if there is no IPv4 one available.

Somehow this needs to be added to HACS directly. There is another Velop integration that hasn’t been updated for 3 years which is native in HACS that doesn’t work. I have done quite a few searches and tonight is the first time I came across this post. Got it installed and can’t wait to jump right into device tracking.

RE: images for the nodes… There’s a post higher up about that I think… However, the path defaults to /local/velop_nodes/<model_number>.png . You can change the path as detailed here . If you change the path then you’ll also need to enable the sensor for the node so the card can read it.

Got it all working - so happy - thank you! However, one thing we may want to add to Readme (wasn’t clear to me as a newbie): /local/velop_nodes = /config/www/velop_nodes

I was running into problems trying to change the YAML code to use /config/www/velop_nodes because I thought that was necessary since I didn’t see a /local/ folder. However, after running into a ton of issues I stumbled upon it working when I pasted the code without any changes.

Not sure if this is obvious to others, but wasn’t to me given the name differences. If anyone else is reading this thread - keep this in mind. :slight_smile:

It’s part of the built-in http integration in Home Assistant.

I’ll look to make the README a bit clearer though.

1 Like

There is an error while trying to add repository .

System: Home Assistant OS 8.4 (aarch64 / raspberrypi3-64)
Home Assistant Core: 2022.8.4
Home Assistant Supervisor: 2022.08.3

HACS
Integration version: |1.26.2|
Frontend version: |20220714083628|

That’s not the HACS interface for adding custom repositories. That’s the add-on area for adding repositories. I’ve just tested here and it is working correctly.

1 Like

got it. I was trying to add as addon repository.

It should be in integrations

Sorry if this is a bit silly, but is there a way to port this over into the actual Home Assistant integrations? Meaning, make it just officially available to set up in Home Assistant as an integration? There are a LOT of velop systems out there, and this seems like brilliant work. Why not have it pulled into the project itself?

Then we can just add an integration and select Velop…

Hi,

I recently set up HA, so relative newby and not a coder. I have 5 velop mesh nodes in apartment and has been very stable up until installation of HA and linksys _Velop integration. Got it all set up and cards and now its creates some issue with the network such that random nodes start flashing red, then whole mesh goes down. restarting it fixes but it fails again in hours. Highly likely thats its from HA and integration, although could be from zigbee network that was set up at roughly the same time. Also have UPnP/IGD integration on BTW.

Any suggestions of where to look or how to resolve very much appreciated.

Love the integration, btw, thanks

My first step would be trying to eliminate factors…

1. Disable the linksys_velop integration and see if the problem still happens.
  2. If the problem still happens, move the Wi-Fi band so it doesn’t clash with the ZigBee network (there could be interference if they overlap and if you change the ZigBee band you’ll have to rejoin all the devices so best to change the Wi-Fi one).

If the issue stops after point 1 (would imply that the integration isn’t playing very well) then you could probably try changing the frequency that it polls the Mesh, although you should see something in the HA logs if there are timeout issues that might be causing the parent bode to be overworked. The integration speaks to the parent node for everything, unless you ask a node to be rebooted, then it’ll direct the request to that node.

You wouldn’t happen to have those node image files anywhere, would you? :smiley:

First, let me say… THANK YOU for developing this. It fills a huge gap in what I can monitor, and I appreciate all the hard work.

I’ve gotten a ways into this, and I’m still trying to get all the cards working.

This one doesn’t show anything at all right now…

This one is working, minus the images. Besides if you could share the node images, the only question I have is whether there is a way to split this to only show the nodes from one network? I have two separate velop networks, and I’d like to show them separately rather than lumped together if possible.

And this one doesn’t show anything either…

Perhaps some of this is because I have both networks in bridge mode? They are managed by a pfSense router which does the IP addressing. The networks are just access points.

I’d love to make some use of what I can with these custom cards in my scenario. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Steven

Is that not in the github repository…think this might be what you are looking for…

I’m not sure how much it would show in bridged mode. IIRC you can’t run Speedtests so that part would be irrelevant. The UI is built from the sensors so do the sensors show details for DNS, Public IP etc? Are the switches there that would control the options? This UI is really only an example that would need tweaking to suit your needs and as you’re in bridged mode some of it might not be available.

You’d have to have a look at the UI YAML and determine the best way to target the nodes that you need to see grouped. The following screenshot shows the block of the auto-entities card that selects which nodes to show, so depending on your naming conventions or any other attributes you’d need to tweak that section. Essentially this says, include any binary_sensor that has an entity_id that ends with _status that has a guest_network attrubute that is set to either true or false. It’ll then exclude any sensors that contain the word mesh anywhere in the entity_id.

Did you enable the select entity on the mesh? It’s disabled by default.

I haven’t made the images I use for the nodes available anywhere. I’ve just used a search engine to search for transparent images of the model number that I’m looking for and used those.

No, I looked. They weren’t in there.

1 Like

Thanks again for this. I know you guys love when the community treats you like their own technical support guru’s. LOL. I actually just really like this integration, and hope to help iron out some quirks. I’ll tinker with the card layouts and make them appropriate for my specific case as I go.

I know bridge mode hides a lot, and I’m not sure if that’s why half of this isn’t showing up right now. When I figure this out, I can share my changes here so that other people might not spin their wheels for long.

I haven’t enabled or disabled anything yet. The options show “devices” as disabled. Is that the option you’re referring to? There are a few there, but they say they are unavailable. They are disabled though.

As for the other cards, they don’t show at all. The only ones that show are the node cards.

Node

I used this node as an example only because it’s the only one with this anomaly. As you see, the IP address shows a 192.168 address even though the app shows the correct one. It’s actually a 172.16 address and it shows it’s connected to another node with a 172.16 address. Small potatoes in the scheme of things, but weird.

I have two networks in bridge mode. One called “automation”, and one called “lanscape”. My biggest hurdle is figuring out how to specify nodes with naming schemes like binary_sensor.mesh_network_lanscape_wan_status. Would I have to modify your example to have it include both variables?

It looks like that entity ID line /binary_sensor\..*_status/ would have to be modified to include both *_lanscape and *_status somehow? I know nothing about the correct syntax for that though. Am I at least on the right track?

Thanks all for the help…
Steven

On mobile so apologies for brevity and typos…

Yes. You’ll need to enable the Devices entity for the select card to work.

Something similar was mentioned here before and typically a reboot of the node seems to solve this. It’s mainly because there are multiple commands that can return information about nodes and devices and the Linksys app and web UI seems to use all of them and merge bits and pieces based on a unique ID, the MAC and/or IP.

RE: splitting the display out by network, you’ll have to try any of the following: -

• find something common between them that can be queried off one of the node entities and use that to apply a different filter for auto-entities
  • rename the entity_ids to suit your targeting needs and then update the filter (in the previous screenshot) accordingly
1 Like

Thanks for the information, and work on the integration. I’ll work on it some more tomorrow and see what I can figure out.