Custom integration to set polling interval for Friends of Hue devices

The Hue integration, and specifically, the sensor manager for handle remotes and motion sensors, works with a polling system which is fixed with a 5s scan interval.

Knowing that a higher request rate normally hurts the hue bridges, but also knowing about the stability of their own systems, some people, like me, want to set a faster rate, or even being able to change it for some specific periods.

As this is not possible in the latest HA Core, I just did this custom integration: https://github.com/azogue/fasthue

• It creates a sensor entity for each hue bridge, showing the current update interval.
  • It enables a new service fasthue.set_scan_interval to dynamically change the polling interval for each bridge.
  • It leaves no trace (and original polling is reinstated) when removed.
  • It is HACS compliant, so it can be added to HACS manually and used right now without any HA restart.
  • It is only UI configurable :slight_smile:

Please comment about if it is useful for you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ha, this might be well worth the try, very nice, thank you very much.

What would make it even cooler, would be if it could somehow use an input_sliderā€™s state for setting the update frequency:

- service: fasthue.set_update_interval
    entity_id: sensor.hue_polling_interval
    data_template:
      scan_interval:
        seconds: {{states('input_number.hue_polling_interval')}}

so we could experiment ā€˜liveā€™ from the frontend.
Would that be possible?

Would that be possible?

Yes, you already have the yaml to do it. You donā€™t need any change in the repo to do it, just do it like any other input number + automation to call any other HA service

1 Like

ok cool, I take it you mean like this:

automation:
  - alias: set_hue_polling_interval:
    trigger: 
      platform: state
      entity_id: input_number.hue_polling_interval
    action:
      service: fasthue.set_update_interval
      entity_id: sensor.hue_polling_interval
      data_template:
        scan_interval:
          seconds: >
            {{states('input_number.hue_polling_interval')}}

great, will try and report back!

great, will try and report back!

First cast the value to int in the template, that wonā€™t work like that:

data_template:
        scan_interval:
          seconds: >
            {{states('input_number.hue_polling_interval') | int }}

Templates render text. If you need numbers you need to explicitly convert them.

Also, about the scan_interval field in there, it is a time_period object, so you can pass a dict like that with seconds:, minutes:, etc, but you could also pass a text like this: ā€œ00:00:7ā€ and would work.

I noticed that the data_template was not working and made a fix, please update the repo in the HACS tab (no HA restart needed). I also added the automation example to the README file, enjoy :slight_smile:

1 Like

cool, forgot the |int from the top of my head, sorry bout that.

thanks!

1 Like

@azogue I just wanted to thank you for this integration. The 5 seconds default made things like the Hue Smart Button almost useless. But what do you mean with short intervals can hurt the bridge? Iā€™ve set it to 1sec and it works fine.

1 Like

Hi @dantist,

The 5 seconds default made things like the Hue Smart Button almost useless. But what do you mean with short intervals can hurt the bridge? Iā€™ve set it to 1sec and it works fine.

Not hurt it physically, but those Hue hubs are famous for being not very powerful, and most of the people have A LOT of apps connected to the hub (so that means a lot of requests to the hub).

So, in some cases (not all, and not for sure), the hub fails when itā€™s being called with a high freq, like each 1s. But if it works for you, go on! the hub is not going to burn or anything else :slight_smile:

HA has a (very)conservative approach with this (and itā€™s perfectly understandable, given the full context), and because of that, the CC exists :slight_smile:

In my personal case, Iā€™ve worked for years with a 2s freq, and sometimes with 1s, without any big problem (just some error logs when using 1s, occasionally), but for others, it tends to get messy with short update intervalsā€¦

1 Like

How can i set the interval to 1 second ?

and thanks @azogue for this great addon !

I installed the mod from HACs. Set my refresh to 1 second and then restarted home assistant but it is still using 5 second polling. All displays in the home assistant menu show 1 second. Restarted multiple times.

Thank you for this awesome module.
Itā€™s working great, philips hue was very slow before, fully useless !

Thank you! Works perfect!
Friends of Hue Switch is now a nice input device :smiley:

Just donā€™t forgett to install the Integration in HA after HACS install :sweat_smile:

Hi @azogue - nice add on to the Hue integration!

Iā€™m rather new at HA and installed you add on as described, so I have your integration showing under ā€œIntegrationsā€ - got the frequency set to 1s, but my lights are still reporting slow.

Am I missing something - do I need to do any further steps to get this working?
I see some of the other guys talking about an Automation setup as well?

Thanks in advance
-Thomas