Custom Integration: Volkswagen WeConnect ID (Europe)

Hi all, I am new to Home Assistant and I have been playing with my Home Assistant Yellow. I have downloaded this integration, and I was able to login, but my car doesn’t show up. I have been looking at Entities, devices, … and can’t find anything Volkswagen related (i have been looking for Volkswagen, ID, the VIN).

Can someone help me out and let me know how I could find my vehicle? I have an ID4 (Netherlands market). In the We Connect app I can see my vehicle, and find all the available data.

Hi, check at the Integration Page if it realy had make the connetion. Their you need see 1 device and the entities. If not look at your log files.
Had you logon to the volkswagen Web Page and agreed to the terms allready ?

Then something has been wrong… No devices are shown, and nothing to see in the log files.
I just logged in, and then it continued. The app has been setup (last year) and I just checked the Volkswagen ID website (https://vwid.vwgroup.io/) and there everything seems alright as well after I login.

It shows Initializing for a while and after a few minutes I get a confirmation that it’s done

Try to logon at volkswagen via this link: https://www.myvolkswagen.net/
There was some reports that User in other country need go to their county volkswagen Login Page. Not sure if the .io Transfer you to the correct Login Page for NL

Thanks, I had to confirm some things there as well. The car still doesn’t show up - but that’s for tomorrow. Maybe I need to give some extra access in the car (my parents’ car - and they are carefull with giving permissions). Thanks so far!

So I’ve just bought myself an ID.3 and integrating it into Home Assistant (because I’m still on v2.4 and scheduled charging just does not work) seemed like a good idea.

Unfortunately I came across this error which others had;

Unable to install package weconnect==0.54.1: ERROR: Cannot install weconnect==0.54.1 because these package versions have conflicting dependencies. ERROR: ResolutionImpossible: for help visit https://pip.pypa.io/en/latest/topics/dependency-resolution/#dealing-with-dependency-conflicts [notice] A new release of pip is available: 23.0 -> 23.0.1 [notice] To update, run: pip install --upgrade pip

I couldn’t find a resolution so I tried to manually update the package on my system and it worked. I logged into my Pi running HA Core, accessed the Docker module and from the Bash terminal I did this.

pi@raspberrypi: docker ps

get the list of docker instances, find homeassistant, mine starts with ref c4e9. You can abbreviate the reference if it’s non ambiguous.

Get a bash shell on your instance:

pi@raspberrypi: docker exec -it c4e9 bash

Careful because you are now in the instance. Could break all sorts. Probably a good idea to backup stuff. Inside the instance:

bash-5.1# pip install weconnect==0.54.1

then exit to go back to a normal shell.

Then I restarted HA and added the integration again. It connected to my car and all the entities are there.

I’ve no idea if this is sustainable or sensible, but it’s working now - hope it helps someone else.

PS - thanks for this to @Mitch and any other contributors - I’ve got a lot of playing around to do, looks great so far though!

My integration has just stoped working.
Have checked the vw website, and permissions seem to be set OK.
Nothing in HA logs.
The ID3 device shows up, but all the entities show unavailable.

Anyone else seeing this?

Colin

I am able to log-in but don’t see any services or entities. It is a new install so it might not be related to the issue you are having. I do see an error in the log which looks like a time-out? And might worth metioning I don’t own a ID but an E-Golf which works fine in the We Connect ID app.

2023-04-26 20:09:10.684 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.device_tracker] Setup of device_tracker platform volkswagen_we_connect_id is taking over 10 seconds.

Hey Guys, has anyone been able to integrate their ID in the energy tab?

Trying to use the charge power entity in a Riemann sum integral so i can add as an individual device but it doesn’t seem to work. The created sensor shows ‘0’ and it doesn’t appear in the drop down list in the energy tab in individual devices.

Anyone had luck with this?

Mine had a few off days, but today it looks like it’s working (ID4).

David

Same here - started working again without me doing anything.

Hi, Integration with toggles works quite well except the car does not respond to charge speed “reduced’”
VW ID.4 Max Charge Current AC is set to reduced, but car is still charging at 10 kW. Any suggestions?

Hi DvdE, I be tried to setup a toggle but it doesn’t work reliable. Would you mind sharing your Yaml code (with your VIN redacted of course!)

I’ve also not any success with setting the charge speed even though there is syntax in the setting for Max and Reduced. The app can change (and reduces to 2kwh on my 3khw granny charger) it so I hope this could too.

The API doesn’t like me trying to change the target SoC often either!

I’ve been trying to set up an automation to stop/star charge the car at different speeds based on the amount of excess electricity generated by my PV panels…

Cheers
Darren

I did try this for a while and integrated into the energy panel but that values I got were wildy inaccurate.

I think I used the Riemann sensor based 9n the charge power and then fed that into a Utility Meter helper.

I then moved to sticking my 3kwh granny charger on a smart plug (with energy monitoring) for much more accurate results, but the smart plugs don’t like being ran at 3kw for extended periods, and have even killed a 20A rated one…
For the time being I’m running at 2kwj slow charge and will hopefully get a proper EV charger later this year once the model I want finally becomes available

1 Like

See YAML code of button that is used in dashboard:
alias: vw_id_4_toggle_charge_speed
description: “”
trigger:

• platform: state
    entity_id:
    • input_boolean.vw_id_4_toggle_charge_speed
      to: “on”
      id: charge_speed_high
  • platform: state
    entity_id:
    • input_boolean.vw_id_4_toggle_charge_speed
      to: “off”
      id: charge_speed_low
      condition: []
      action:
  • choose:
    • conditions:
      • condition: trigger
        id: charge_speed_high
        sequence:
      • service: volkswagen_we_connect_id.volkswagen_id_set_ac_charge_speed
        data:
        maximum_reduced: maximum
        vin: xxxxxxx
    • conditions:
      • condition: trigger
        id: charge_speed_low
        sequence:
      • service: volkswagen_we_connect_id.volkswagen_id_set_ac_charge_speed
        data:
        vin: xxxxxxx
        maximum_reduced: reduced
        mode: single

I don’t think a toggle is the way to go. The API is so slow.
That’s the reason why i’ve added buttons to the integration instead of toggles.

I am considering the elli charger with wifi. I saw somewhere someone was able to integrate it into HA.

I am getting this error

Does anyone know why is this?

I’m not able to connect to my account, It says Unknown when i try to log in ( also I had to install it manually because it didn’t show in HACS)

I have tried to check my account on the webpage https://vwid.vwgroup.io and that works fine. Been using the APP since november.

Any ideas what I did wrong? :slight_smile:

Best regards, KJ

Hello. I’m getting the same error too. I wondered if something had changed at VW’s side and broken the API?