Custom-sidebar: manage Home Assistant's sidebar items per user or device basis

@daniel1to

Yes, it is possible to edit the order of the items or hide some of them per session and device natively without installing anything. You just need to go to to your account (clicking on your avatar and search for the Change the order and hide items from the sidebar section). The same is also possible if you long press the Home Assistant sidebar title.

This plugin is just if you want to go further and make multiple customisations without losing the changes if you log out or change the device.

Regards

Ok thanks for your help. This worked. Is it also possible to rename the first dashboard?

@daniel1to,

You can rename the dashboards natively but it will rename the dashboards for everyone. If you want to do it per user / device basis, it is not possible natively, you would need to use the custom plugin.

Hey, for me it is somehow not possible to rename the first entry in the sidebar menu. Maybe dashboard was misleading.

Hi @daniel1to,
That is also right, if you mean the default dashboard it cannot be edited. You would need to create other dashboards for that or use the custom plugin.
Regards

Can u link the plugin?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Hi @daniel1to,
It is linked at the beginning of this thread. This thread is about the plugin :slight_smile:
Regards

1 Like

This is really a very useful and functional plugin! Thank you!

Unfortunately, the adjustments are not applied to the companion app. Is this not possible or am I doing something wrong?

I use HA almost exclusively via the Android app, so it would be great if I could customize the sidebar there too.

Hi @Sauerkraut,
The customisation should work in your companion App, I have mine working in an Android device. Sometimes the companion App is very stubborn with the caching. Try to clean cache to see if it helps.
Regards

Hi @elchininet

Great plugin. I’ve read the documentation and this thread and can’t quite find the answer to my question.

Can I add custom items to the sidebar for only a specific user (myself). All other users will just get the default HA sidebar items.

TIA.

Explain what you mean by default: it is possible by default (as in built into core), but stored browser side: so it is device specific and gets lost when you clear the cache. So it is not the default for all users or all devices.

The custom component here offers more options, as the settings are stored differently. It also provides more options.

Yes @infocus13, it is possible to add custom items only for a specific user. Please, consult the Exceptions section in the documentation.
Regards

I don’t think it is possible at the moment to achieve that by default. You can remove or change the order of items for your user/session using core, but you cannot add new items only for you. To add items using core, it is possible to use the panel_custom integration but this will add the sidebar items to all the users.

If you know a way of adding items for a specific user using core, please, let me know to add it to the documentation.

That is not what I said. If you look who I replied to, you’ll see I replied to a different post.

I see :sweat_smile:
I just read the response and I thought that it was to the previous one.

1 Like

What is the current status of setting up Users from out Admin login?
I refer to setting rights for:

• Disabling the Sidebar completely or
  • Menu elements on the sidebar.

After reading some posts, I found this chain about “custom-sidebar-v2”
Before this, there was a post about the “Kiosk” plug-in.
But it seems these options are discontinued.

Best would be to have this functionality emnedded into the HA release.
Any update on this? Thanks!

Hi @ArjenGroeneveld,

• For “Disabling the Sidebar completely”: GitHub - NemesisRE/kiosk-mode: 🙈 Hides the Home Assistant header and/or sidebar
  • For “Disabling Menu elements on the sidebar” you can use this plugin. (You can do it also in Home Assistant directly, but it is not per user/device basis in a permanent way, you would need to login in the device with the specific user that you want and do the changes there, but if you log out all the changes will be lost)

Hello @elchininet ,

Thank you for your feedback I appreciate.

Option 1: Is this a solution where the admin can disable the sidebar per not admin users?

Option 2: This is not a real solution.
In reality an app installation is with saying “go to App store, search for home asssitant and get it installed. then type as url: http://homeassistant.local:8123/” Install should go that easy.
You are not taking control over the users phone to disable. and certainly not per instance he/she like to launch the app.

I there any plan on gettign an intergrated solution? Such the admin user can centrally administer the user rights for the non-admin users (per user)?

• For “Disabling Menu elements on the sidebar” you can use this plugin. (You can do it also in Home Assistant directly, but it is not per user/device basis in a permanent way, you would need to login in the device with the specific user that you want and do the changes there, but if you log out all the changes will be lost)

Option 1: Is this a solution where the admin can disable the sidebar per not admin users?

Yes, you can do it (among other things)

Option 2: This is not a real solution.
In reality an app installation is with saying “go to App store, search for home asssitant and get it installed. then type as url: http://homeassistant.local:8123/” Install should go that easy.
You are not taking control over the users phone to disable. and certainly not per instance he/she like to launch the app.

I think that you didn’t read the part in which I mentioned “For Disabling Menu elements on the sidebar you can use this plugin”.

What I mentioned after that is what is builtin in Home Assistant (and that is why this plugin exists, if that would be implemented natively in Home Assistant then this plugin would not have much sense to exist).

But you need to be aware of something, do not use any JavaScript plugin as a security measure, it is enough to avoid spouse/kids/family to interact whit elements that you don’t want, but it is not an RBAC solution, so if you want something secure comig from the back-end you need to request it to Home Assistant devs to implement it natively.

I there any plan on gettign an intergrated solution? Such the admin user can centrally administer the user rights for the non-admin users (per user)?

You should ask this to the Home Assistant developers themselves. There were discusions about this in the past but I think that sidebar is not a priority at the moment.

Hello @elchininet,

Thank you for this, very informative. I will install your plugin and explore it

1 Like