Customising the BOM Weather and lovelace - now in HACS

Hi guys - long time user of David’s card - just trying Platinum Weather Card and so far great except for a couple of issues. Do you want them reported here first or straight to the git? Neither of the issues are “faults”.

Also - since you are busy cutting code - what are the chances of optional hourly forecast instead of daily?

If its a simple question more than happy to answer here. If it more complex/bug that I will need config/screenshots etc an issue is probably better. But start here for now.

Issue #1 on github has a todo list. The hourly stuff is on there already.

Thanks for the prompt response.

Issue one is more of a question. I know that I can filter entities when selecting them, but is it possible to only display sensors and weather entities in the default unfiltered list? I see automations, scripts, groups etc etc.

Issue two is re the daily forecast. My locality only has extended forecast summary text for 4 days - only the short text forecast is available for the 5th day. The new card nicely extends day 1 to the 5th day, but gets unknown for the 5th day forecast text.

I did try and just override by putting entity_summary_5: in the YAML - too clever I know because it didn’t work. :slight_smile: Is there a way to override? Do I have to put every day in manually as per David’s card?

Old card:

Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 17.47.15

New card:

Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 17.45.58

This is something that I had thought about, but not really looked into that closely. I think part of the problem is that a lot of entities don’t have classes assigned to them. So maybe I can exclude some of the obvious ones, but doing it as an inclusion may result in the ones people want not being listed. Can you create a issue for this so I don’t forget it.

For the days that have unknown what do you think should happen? Are you using extended or short in the popup?

I use extended for entity_summary_1:, your card then auto fills for the rest of the days. The issue is that there is no extended summary for day 5, which I of course had to manually populate on David’s card so it wasn’t an issue.

From the old card:

entity_summary_1: sensor.rutherglen_extended_text_1
entity_summary_2: sensor.rutherglen_extended_text_2
entity_summary_3: sensor.rutherglen_extended_text_3
entity_summary_4: sensor.rutherglen_extended_text_4
entity_summary_5: sensor.rutherglen_short_text_5

Ok, got it. Maybe I need to add a fallback entity name. Let me think about that for a bit. Lucky you don’t live on Norfolk Island, I tested that with the BoM integration yesterday and it breaks badly as there are no hourly forecasts at all for the location.

1 Like

To anyone wavering, the new card is awesome and you should be able to just change the card-type in Lovelace and then go into the configuration and save. It will 99% look the exact same as the old card but there a lot of neat stuff Simon has added.

3 Likes

For example, all these were created from the UI using this new card:

Similar layout to previous card but with detail of today above forecasts:

Forecasts up top:

Vertical forecasts:

No forecasts:

Screenshot 2022-07-06 at 09-21-39 Administration – Home Assistant

Forecasts only:

Much more is possible.

2 Likes

This is mine

Note 8 total slots and the order of everything is completely configurable. Also more custom slots and I used card-mod to resize the summary text to mimic the old card.

Hi
Is the “entity forecast pop 1” short for population or popupScreen Shot 2022-07-06 at 4.57.52 pm

A horrid name that was inherited. pop = probability of precipitation (think % chance). pos=possible amount of rain (think mm).

1 Like

I have just done a pre-release of 0.0.3b0 that adds support for using the standard weather entities.
If you are using the BoM integration there is no benefit, but make sure I haven’t broken anything as there were 100’s of lines of code changed. For those using other weather integrations please try it out and provide feedback (github issues is the best place as it is easier for me to track and not miss anything).

Also thanks to @DavidFW1960 for the support and @tom_l for sharing a bunch of images of what is possible with this new card.

David’s comments above made me decide to do it, just switched over by changing the Card Type, 2 seconds and done! Many thanks @DavidFW1960 and @theRat

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words.

Pre-release 0.0.3b1 has been released to address some stuff I missed in b0 and to address an issue for people using crappy weather integrations. We are so lucky to have a decent one with the BoM data.

1 Like

I have implemented this card but why do I not see the icons?

I have put the icons in the /config/www/ folder

Using the new Platinum card?
They go in the folder with the card itself and if you install with HACS it will do this for you. I believe also that Simon might have renamed the icons to allow animated and Static in the same directory. See the releases page here Releases · Makin-Things/platinum-weather-card · GitHub

yes, platinum card. I installed with HACS but the icons are not there

if I upload the icons manually, do I put them in “animated” and “static” folders in the root of “platinum-weather_card” folder?

edit: the icons are there, I did not look properly.

but why do I not see them in Lovelace?

Yes. With the new platinum version the icons get installed as part of the HACS install in the same directory. Due to a limitation in HACS (it doesn’t allow for things in folders) they were renamed and located in the base path of the card.
You can now delete the old manually installed icons if they are not used by anything else.

2 Likes