“customize” - is it going to be deprecated?

I am talking about a yaml option used for customization:

homeassistant:
  customize:
    sensor.xxx:
      friendly_name: …
      icon: …
      …

Today someone (may be some HA dev, not sure) told me on HA core GitHub that this option “is considered deprecated”.

It was said while discussing “why Zones do not contain persons inside it as attributes - although it is promised in Docs”. It was realized that this functionality broke when “customize” is used to set nice names for zones. This seems to be the ONLY place in HA where using «customize» breaks functionality - due to imperfect implementation of zones.
My arguments about names in hieroglyphs were not accounted.

This “customize” option is used when:

1. User prefers to keep customization in yaml.
  2. UI does not have ability to customize a particular option.

Deprecating this option is a BREAKING CHANGE.
Do not think that users will be happy if this happens.

Not to mention that even after adding additional functions into UI to “compensate” that deprecation, it will be one more step to break user’s ways of keeping configs in yaml.

Considered deprecated is akin to “legacy”. Its not going anywhere and its not getting updates.

1 Like
  1. Since “considered deprecated” was said by some possibly HA core dev person - I would like to get a confirmation that “customize” will not become unsupported - as official confirmation.
  2. I would also believe that “deprecated” here means “still supported, but not upgraded”. So far in most other cases a warning in Log like “xxxx is deprecated” usually meant “will be removed”.

It was said by a member, not a Nabu Casa employee, release announcement, or blog post.

Right now, you’re just making assumptions that it’s going to be deprecated. There is no official word that this is happening, you’re just creating a rumor based off another users assumptions.

I haven’t got the impression that this is being deprecated in any of my conversations. The only impression I’m getting is that it’s not getting further enhancements and it’s unlikely to get any fixes if issues arise. Meaning it will simply remain a way to add attributes that don’t change. Any work arounds people are using are not guaranteed to work forever. I.e changing supported features, modifying source lists for media players, etc.

1 Like

It was said by some person marked as “contributor” with a confident tone.
That is why I worried and wanted to be sure.
And I created this thread with a QUESTION.

And now it is me who created the rumor ))), great conclusion.

Hmm, this is not good. If some legacy functionality broken - it should be fixed. If possible.

Imho this is something like a hack. Not a proper use of customization.

Anyway - it would be great that those confident words about deprecating of “customize” were merely a personal opinion of some user.