Customized SolarEdge Energy Dashboard

Hi @CChris,

I like your dashboard very much and would like to set it the same way. That said, I am very new to HA still and it’s still really hard for me to work out how everything works.

My basic setup (with modbus-proxy and modbusdata from my SE inverter) works, but I dont like the output, so your dashboard would be much better for me.

I have managed to install node-red, the companion and npm, the json with my site and API key and pasted (and adjusted to my production spoecifications) your config.yaml.

But I fear sth has gone wrong. I copypasted your configuration in my config.yaml file and rebooted, but the entities defined (like Nutzungsgrad etc) won’t show up. Where am I supposed to put them?

Hi, unfortunately the Energy dashboard itself doesn’t allow to add anything of these Elements.
Therefore, I’ve just created a Dashboard with all Solar related Information I wanted to have.

But honestly speaking: after a year running with this config I came to the conclusion that this was Just overloaded and not really usefull - too mich Information in one place doesn’t add usability… It was more a result of ‘let’s see what I can do’.

My current Solar dashboard is a lot cleaner - and focuses on the most Important Information…

Also you probably need to adjust the named of the Sensors where I calculate values… (Nutzungsgrad, and so on) to meet your entity names

Thanks for your reply. After fiddling around a bit I managed to finally set some things up.
This is what it looks like now (not finished yet).

What I am missing:
Energy imported (this month), energy exported (this month).
The Modbus and API seem not to generate these settings directly, any idea on how to calculate them?

And would you mind sharing your current dashboard and its settings?

my current dashboard is looking like this (pretty similar)

It does show the DC Production value as well as the AC Production value.
Then, I am using a “flow card” to see the current energy flow.

A statistics card for daily production values (unfortunately, due to a server issue my utility meters did not reset recentyl)…

THe second column is about the utility meters - where I am focussing on the daily measurements - but using the folder entity card to be able to also extend to weekly, monthly, quarterly yearly and total production values:

grafik

Regarding the export / import information: These are comming from the solaredge_modbus integration.
The Web-API based integration does only provide a rough information about todays values:

grafik

But - you could create utility meters to create statistics over a longer period with them as well.

3 Likes

As a beginner, I successfully integrated the same SolarEdge Modbus (which does connect to the inverter directly).
The problem now is which entities I have to take in the energy dashboard.

for a basic setup in the energy dashboard, you should use the following sensors:

configure solar panels:
sensor.solaredge_ac_energy_kwh (total production)

electricity grid:
sensor.solaredge_m1_imported_kwh (total import if you have the solaredge meter installed)

sensor.solaredge_m1_exported_kwh (total export if you have the solaredge meter installed)

We have two SolarEdge PV inverters, with a modbus. Is Home Assistant able to connect to them on the local WiFi network or is the data retrieved from SolarEdge’s API?

the SolarEdge Core integration of HomeAssistant will get its data from the WebAPI.
There’s also an integration that allows a direct connection to the inverter via Modbus:

or for multiple inverters:

Regarding the Wifi Connection:
This really depends on the Firmware version running on your Inverter, because at some point, SolarEdge refused Modbus Connection over Wifi… This was then fixed in later firmware versions…

1 Like

Hi, I have a problem with the calculation of savings.

I have these values in my templates.yaml

# calculation of self consumption since installation
      solaredge_total_selfconsumption_kwh:
        friendly_name: 'Total SelfConsumption kWh'
        unit_of_measurement: 'kWh'
        value_template: >-
          {% set produced = states('sensor.solaredge_ac_energy_kwh') | float(default=0) %}
          {% set exported = states('sensor.solaredge_total_export_kwh') | float(default=0) %}
          {% set selfconsumed =  produced - exported |float(default=0) %}
          {{ selfconsumed | round(2) }}

# Calculation of Total Savings in €
      solaredge_total_savings:
        friendly_name: 'Total Savings €'
        unit_of_measurement: '€'
        value_template: >-
          {{ (states('sensor.solaredge_total_selfconsumption_kwh')|float(default=0) * 30.32 / 100) | round(2) }}
# self consumption * current price per kWh / 100

but the resulting values I display in my Dashboard are wrong.

For example, I have a total solar energy today of 27,504 kWh and a self consumption of 12,748 kWh.
So, savings today (without redemption for energy sold) should be 12,748 kWh*0,3032€ (my current price I pay for a kWh of imported energy). This’d be 3,87€.

But my dashboard (I made a helper entity as a usage meter with a daily reset) shows savings of €8,22, which is nearly, but not exactly the total amount of produced energy*current price (would total in €8,34)…

What am I doing wrong?

due to the fact, that the self consumption is a calculated value in your case, it might be, that the price will be sometimes calculated based on an not updated sensor…

For example:

ac_energy_kwh => updated
total_export_kwh => not yet updated

would lead to a wrong value for self consumed energy… in theory only for a very short period, but it would affect the utility meter which stores the cost information.

I see, but that would only lead to small differences, I’d suppose. In fact, I always have it like above, that the savings result in ac_energy_kwh * price…

Hi All,

Searched a lot but couldn’t find a solution for my problem when reading the value’s out of my modbus connection. SolarEdge Modbus Odd M1 Sensor Data - Configuration - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)
I think there is a setting in my inverter not set correctly, but see the images.
The value’s are way to high, i got my solar panels only for a month now.
Anyone an idea for the solution?

It’s about the value’s:

• solaredge (M1 EXPORTED KWH)
  • solaredge (M1 IMPORTED KWH)

modbus_imported

It could be that this is related to some settings in the Inverter.
What does the Solar Edge Monitoring Show?

I would get in Touch with the Compliance that installed the Inverter & Meter and let them have a look into this.

Will do, but think this installer is not IT minded.
Should be this video my solution for the problem?

Can i do harm to the installation of i try this?

I honestly can’t tell you.
I’ve played around with such settings once… but it is nearly 1,5 years back and managed to disable my reporting to the Monitoring API…

I would not try to change settings when you don’t really know what you are doing there… and unfortunately, I only understood very little from what the guy said…

I just want to clarify: my integration works with all SolarEdge installations. I ended up making my own integration because I personally have multiple inverters, but it works with any size installation.

You can always choose solaredge-modbus-multi for single inverter setups too, the name just isn’t obvious since I am bad at naming things.

1 Like

Did you already install the Solaredge 3Phase Energymeter with modbus connection? You then have Export and Import on meter 1 and Consumption on Meter 2 in the My SolarApp.

th-1502170738

I’m using the solaredge-modbus-multi integration v2.2.5 for a few months now. Works great for my needs with only a single inverter installed and no batteries yet.

I1

M1

M2

hm… okey :slight_smile:
That’s interesting… I am also using the 3phase - meter… Same type as you.
But The integration I am using, does not split this as individual devices…

And… I don’t see the reason for having M1 and M2 - since both are providing the same information…
The only information I could not see in my setup is about the CosPhi …

I have never been able to see valid values for M1 and M2 sensors on my Solaredge inverter since it was installed. This is the first time I have heard that I may need a 3Phase Energymeter. Is that required, and if so, is it supposed to be part of the installation by default or do I need to purchase this and have my installer come out to do the install and configuration? Any idea about the cost of the device?

Also, I just got my new Xcel smart meter and that will allow me to see additional sensor data from the Xcel meter - with that in mind, can I get the same information from that and eliminate the need for any additional hardware?

Thanks

Is there a way to query the SE Inverter API without using NodeRed?