D-diot project: turn a Raspberry Pi into a full home automation hub

Hi Guys, my first post here, so let’s me introduce myself.
I have start using Home Assistant about 2 years ago and it was great. Then I have discovered other great projects, like MySensors and RFLink, both supported by Home Assistant, that can contribute to the full automation of a Home, in a DIY way.

So after a lot of learning and some tentative I have decided to try to put all this things together in the d-diot project, that basically is a board that sits on top of a Raspberry Pi and adds the following functionalities:

• 433 MHz Gateway thanks to the RFLink firmware and integrated ATMega2560 microcontroller

• Infrared (IR) Gateway with an integrated transmitter and receiver both controlled by LIRC and lirc_web

• Dual MySensors gateway with NRF24L01 (2.4 GHz) and RFM69 (868 MHz) radio modules. With MySensors you can easily build any sensor or actuator, you want with just an arduino and a radio module.

A pre-configured Raspbian image with Home Assistant and MySensors is also part of the project.

ESPHome is present in the d-diot image since version 1.1 and it allows you to manage ESP8266 and ESP32 boards, with the help of the built in wifi module of the Raspberry Pi 3.

A 3d printable case for the board and the Pi is under development.

In the d-diot wiki you can find a detailed description of how all the parts of the system are configured.

Maybe this can be useful for some other people

If someone is interested on the project, well simply contact me.

Any comment or suggestion is well appreciated.

2 Likes

Fantastic. I often think mysensors is undervalued in relation to ha. I am impressed with their low power sensors that can’t always be achieved by wifi.

Yes, I agree, MySensors is a great project and for some reasons it’s not as popular as it deserves.
The low power consumption and the possibility to power your nodes with batteries, without replace them for a very long time (one year or more with the right hardware and firmware) is a great plus respect to the ESP8266 and ESP32 based sensors.

Other great feature of MySensors in my opinion are:

• The possibility to upload the sketch into your node over the the air (FOTA)

• Mesh type network, independent from wifi network and router

• Possibility to secure your sensors and actuators network

Having an integration in the home assistant webui for the upload of the firmware to the nodes would be also great!

Plus you can get quite good range compared to wifi/zwave/zigbee, I have a semi-rural letterbox, and would like a sensor. I will do it one day.

Is your device available built up and ready to run or do I have to solder a whole swag of stuff?

Very good question.

My plan is to start as soon as possible (1-2 months) a Kickstarter campaign to produce some (about 100?) unassembled boards, so for the immediate future you have to solder the components yourself.

If the project grow up and there is enough interested people, I will try a second campaign to sell a fully assembled board; in fact some PCB manufacturer offers also an assembly service, so it is not an impossible task.

Soldering the components is not so difficult (I’m a totally noob on this) and in this page of the wiki you can find some tips and tricks.

The list of the required components is here.

In any case at the moment I have some unused pcb at home, so I can send two of them to the Home Assistant community for testing.

Hi guys,

the d-diot board v.2.0 is ready.
Respect to the previous version it is mechanically compatible with the new Raspberry Pi 4, and of course backward compatible with the previous version of the Pi.

The position of some components has also been changed (led mostly) to facilitate the development and to improve the design of the 3d printable case.

In this moment the compatibility with the Pi 4 is only mechanical because, there are some software issues (LIRC for example) related to the adoption of Raspbian Buster, so it is too early for a complete migration to the new hardware

1 Like

Hi guys,

today I have finished the 3d printable case for the d-diot hub v.2.0 and it is available in thingiverse, so now the project is complete!

The case is designed for the Raspberry Pi 3 and the d-diot board v.2.0 and the setup software side is super easy because the hard work is done in the pre-built d-diot image (all the configuration process is here).

ESPHome is integrated in the d-diot image since version 1.1 and a series of sensors and actuators based on ESP8266 and MySensors, all 3d printable, are part of the d-diot project (see here or search d-diot in this forum).

the detailed build instructions for the hub are here.

Hi guys,
time for a little revolution with the hub 3.0 that is a lot different respect to the previous ones, because now it is a wifi multi-gateway (IR, 433 Mhz, Mysensors) based on ESP8266 and ESP32 modules, independent from the Raspberry Pi.

The reasons and the advantages of this little revolution are described in this post.

The hub has a modular design:

• Hub A: dual MySensors gateway (RFM69 amd NRF24) and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) + WS2812B LED controller gateway

• Hub B: infrared remote gateway (transmitter and receiver) and RC 433 Mhz gateway

To allow the maximum flexibility in placement inside the house, each module can be build as a stand-alone piece of hardware or combined in a single device (see pictures). As usual, the case is 3d printable and available in thingiverse.

If someone is interested, all the details and the build instructions are in the dedicated wiki page.