Daikin Altherma heat pump monitoring

and this is with USB charger and gnd on the case :

definitely not compatible with my heat pump

Hi Guesswho620 I see you are from Hungary. Can I contact you somehow? I have a couple of Q concerning my Daikin heatpump communication.
Peter Ruzicska

1 Like

I’ve sent a DM Peti!

Hi @raomin I was thrilled when I found your project. I have been trying to connect a “DOIT ESP32” to my HP (EKHBX008BA3V3 with hotwater boiler). Even though I know how to use Arduino ide, it took me a while to get it uploaded with platformio. I found out I had to lower the baudrate.
Now I have it connected, I have same results as @orionevo only communication errors “0x15 0xea”. Ofcourse it connects succesful to wifi and mqtt.
I have tried grounding and a usb charter, nothing helps.
I have used the ALTHERMA(LT_11-16KW_HYDROSPLIT_HYDRO_UNIT since mine have a hotwaterboiler, but as read it doesnt mater since I would just loose some sensors if choosing incorrect def, right?
I have used the RX2 and TX2 on the esp32, should I try set it up with other pins, could that solve it?
other stuff I could try?

Hmm I really don’t understand why you 2 have this behavior. This could be that your HP has a different serial parity check…

Please try with

MySerial.begin(9600, SERIAL_8N1, RX_PIN, TX_PIN);

or

MySerial.begin(9600, SERIAL_8O1, RX_PIN, TX_PIN);

in main.c:162

RX2/TX2 is the way to go.

thx will try

Tried changing the serial both same result.
“ERR: Time out on register 0x61! got 2/10 bytes”
"0x15 0xea "

Also tried “default.h”

Forgot to mention but my HP is also 10 years old like @orionevo .
It has this exact pcb, (I know because I have just replaced it duo to malfunction) Daikin »Rotex Platine EKHBX008BA3V3 für 5004200« GLo24

Hi,
I tried to change the serial parity check too few weeks ago, but no luck, just like you.

Got some interesting information today from a Daikin facebookgroup. About programming the HP, an installer said:

The x10a port has a read/write cable supplied from Daikin.
We use the same equipment for all models C,D and E.
Not sure about the A&B models.

@raomin is there a way where I could try “throwing” serial commands at it to figure out what it will reply with?

Maybe setting something up on an arduino or similar?
Maybe some simple sketch I could try with different commands, and then read repons?

Hi,
I Also have and old Daikin Altherma heat pump - EKHBX008AA.
And I have the same issue - just getting a 2-byte reply 0x15 0xEA on all registers I have tried.
I have hooked on an oscilloscope and voltage levels and signal on both rx and tx seems reasonable.
There definitely is a reply message and it is only two bytes.
Could it be that these old models use a different protocol?
Does anyone have any info on how to interpret this error response, or have any details on the protocol?
I am an experienced professional embedded programmer and am willing to contribute in solving this.
Thanks.

Hi there. Best would be to install DChecker (the daikin check tool that interfaces with the same port) and see if there is an obvious difference in the protocol…
you can find it here: https://www.thermalsupplyinc.com/daikin-service-checkers/

thx for the info. Is it correct that we should use a “usb to serial” adaptor to connect to the heatpump? or will the tx/rx of the usb cable be sufficient?

I have a USB to UART (BTE13-009A) for programming arduino, would that work?

@raomin just tried to connect with the heatpump using my “usb to uart” and the DChecker. No success, failed in “protocol detection”. Followed this guide Installation og ibrugtagning af Daikin D-checker - YouTube

A usb to UART/Serial like BTE13-009A should work fine, at least it works with my Altherma and that’s on this base that I created ESPAltherma. If it cannot communicate with DChecker than it won’t work with ESPAltherma. Sorry for that.
It’s a first for me, I’ll start documenting the models that do not work on the Readme page…

Hi @raomin/ dear all,

By chance I came to know about your project, it’s amazing the work you did on this amazing initiative. Congratulations!

I took it as a challenge and over the last weeks I ordered an ESP32 and learn how to work with platformIO which I was not experienced with. After solving some configuration issues I finally compiled default.h configuration and upload it into the ESP32.

I was trying to connect to a Daikin Altherma domestic hot water heat pump (internal model EKHHP500AB2V3 and outside unit ERWQ02AAV3), using external power from USB port (still connected to laptop for monitoring the logs from serial port)

I tested several definition files for basic LabelDef values, but I keep getting “ERROR: Timeout on register 0x10! got 2/10 bytes”.
I confirmed GND and RX-TX and TX-RX were properly connected, increased the timeout and also tested different serial parity check settings without success.

As the connection seems to occur, I assume using a M5StickC will not solve the problem.
Based on your experience and knowledge, can you point me in some direction to solve this communication issue?

Thank you in advance for you time and feedback you may have
Rui

@Thomasjohansen / @orionevo ,

I saw you were experiencing a similar problem getting the “ERROR: Timeout on register 0x10! got 2/10 bytes”.
In the meantime were you able to go further with your integration? I’m afraid that also my Altherma EKHHP cannot be integrated
tkx
Rui.

@ruislv no unfortunately Daikins D-checker program could not detect my heatpump.

But if you have a UART/serial device, you can try to test with the daikin Dchecker program. If you dont have it, I wouldnt recommend you buying it for this, because I think its a long short and doubtful that it works with yours since the other didnt. And buying a M5stickC is also not a solution.

1 Like

@ raomin What a great project. THANKYOU

I have a problem, some questions and some observations. Maybe tonight I’ll stick to the problem and questions:

I have an Daikin Altherma 3 H HT the indoor unit is: ETBX16DA6V (the outdoor unit is a EPRA14DAV3 )
Q1: I don’t see the HT (High Temperature) Altherma mentioned anywhere, should I be using Default.h or is there a better configuration file to use?
(If the community has not come across a HT before and there is anything I can do to check it out and build an appropriate configuration file - let me know)

I have a M5StickPlus as recommended.

My biggest problem is that if the Daikin unit is powered on when the M5Stick boots, the M5Stick hangs looking for the WIFI. (I’ve re uploaded the stick, checked the cables etc.)

Further if the M5Stick is connected (ground first, then data cables) to the X10A when the Daikin unit is powered on the M5Stick will immediately reboot (and not connect). However, if the M5 is connected when the Diakin is powered off and the the Daikin is powered on the M5 stays connected to the WiFi, and starts to read the registers and all is good. Until (for what ever reason) the M5 reboots and then it hangs unable to find the the WiFi.
Q2: Any advice? Why does it hang looking for the WiFi when connected?
(If the M5Stick is disconnected it will find the WiFi)

Q3: Is it best to ask these kind of questions here or over on the projects GitHub?

Q1: I’m still having the problem with WiFi not starting if the heap pump is running.

• Any ideas?
    (If I turn the heat pump off the ESP32/ESPAltherma software picks up the WiFi immediately.
    Software is running great, getting useful data chatted in HA, just hangs starting WiFi if heat pump running)

Q2: I’ve been using default.h for my Daikin Altherma 3 H HT but I have found some of the values I’m looking for in other configuration files.
How best do I feed this back? (I’m currently building my own .h with the values I need/ find work)
(As previous is there an existing configuration file that covers the 3 H HT?)