Daikin Altherma heat pump monitoring

Is it possible to change or override forever state of the sensor.althermasensors?
It is allways in unknown (none) state

upd.
Maybe it will be good to know about esp32 or m5 is still reading something from Altherma. I mean if any attribute was readed from heating pump so sensor state = On, if no one register was readed, sensor state = off

Hey @raomin,
Cool project! Want to try but first I need to order some hardware.
As I understand with m5stickcplus I cant use double relays for heating cooling and another 2 relays in the future for smart grid because m5stickcplus don’t have so much free pins available.
I checked all your manuals and can’t find where to uncomment to use double relays for heating and cooling:) Maybe you an help me with that?:slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome project!
I bought all the stuff. Although I could not find the same relais, i think I found a similar one. I had some hassle making the Dupont cables (I bought a making set) but I think its wired now.
When I connect an USB cable to the ESP, the red light burns on the relais. The ESP is flashed and connects to the MQTT server (and then gives no values because it isnt connected to the Altherma ofcourse).

I would like to test the stuff before i connect it to the Altherma. Should I be able to use the switch.altherma? What should i be noticing? Up to now, switch.altherma goes “on” and “off” in Home Assistant. But does that mean it also switches the current? If I remove the black wire (gnd) the light on the relay is going on and off.

Hi everyone,
Sorry for missing the last messages…I don’t come often on this page, better to go on github…

So @Nicomp, the result of testing ESPAltherma not connected to the heat pump might be unpredictable.
Just cross check once again all your cables and connection (especially if these are handmade dupont!!) then just plug it in!

@General-RNG, I’m using one relay to trigger heating. I’m not (yet) using the cooling function and I guess I’ll do the switch manually then reverse the thermostat on Home assistant.
If you need that many relays then you should use another esp32, like the ttgo t-display, or any other one exposing many pins.

@andreytse that’s a good point. I should define a lastwill. Can you add this as an issue on the github? I’ll implement this.

@scriptengine: Q1 the Heat pump might create interferences. Try to put the esp32 outside of the casing first, if it’s already out, then try to put it closer to the wifi AP…
Q2: you can edit the Wiki page on github Choosing the right definition file · raomin/ESPAltherma Wiki · GitHub

Hi

would you please be so kind to share your definition file? I can share/public mine, so we can share results on the same Altherma Heat Pump… :grinning:

Hi.
Congratulation for this project, I was looking for some way to integrate my Altherma heapump in HA and this looks the easiest and most effective way.
Now I know what to do during holiday :sweat_smile:

Just 2 questions:
1 - is my Altherma EHSX08P50B compatible?
2 - at hte moment I own a ESP32-CAM. Will it work or I need a simple ESP32 without camera? I bought 3 of them for testing, but I’m not currently using them…

Thank you very much!

Hi Alex.

I cannot tell for sure but your heat pump should work fine.
For the Esp32Cam you should be able to use pins 12 to 15 for the serial ports and the relay pin. Just adjust the config file.

Happy hacking! Enjoy!

Hi.
Thank you very much for your reply, I will try as soon as possible! :crossed_fingers:

Hi.
After learning what PlatformIO is, downloading it and try to learn how to make it work… I finally managed to flash my Esp32-Cam.
Now is time to try to connect it to the board.
I found X10a connector, but mine is 8 pin, and I can’t find the pin out anywhere.
Any tip on where should I connect the cables?
Thanks.

Edit: Ops… I just saw you already covered this. I’ll go and try! :wink:

Ok, I’m finally starting to get values!

I think I have to find the correct definition file.
The main problem at the moment is that I can’t update it OTA, so I have to unplug from Altherma everytime to flash another definition, but I will lok for a solution in previous replies.
I’m already happy! :smiley:

Glad you got it working Alex. For the OTA, it should work ok. What is your issue?

I did some tests during weekend, but they were inconsistent.
I need some more time to try it, OTA flashing is not working, but I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong, it looks like it flashing, but at the end when it tries to connect it gives error.
I will try again and eventually I’ll copy logs.
It was the first time for me using PaltformIO, so there the possibility that I did some mistake.
I also added ESP32-CAM definition.

I’m already using a dry contact timer to switch the unit to summer mode during the night (in winter) to stop heating during the night (when solar is not working), I will replace that timer with the relay driven by your program. Having a double relay configuration would be possible?
I can live without it, but with a second relay I could choos betweer summoer mode and stand-by, that stops ACS too. But this is not so important, I will choose which one to use. Currently I used GPIO12 and GPIO13 for rx/tx, so GPIO14 and GPIO15 are still free for relais.

Till now, thank you very much, I already have almost everything integrated in HA, and heating monitoring was something that I didn’t think it could be integrated, non in a so easy and cheap way at least. :smiley:

Hi.
Can you please describe what did you do exactly?
I’m having OTA issues too, and maybe your solution can help.
Thanks.

Sorry don’t remember exactly, but I think, I enabled it from the conf file.

Most common issue for OTA is a firewall issue on your machine. On Windows 10, make sure your network is marked as Private or disable temporarily your firewall.
If you still have issues, share a screenshot.

Just to update, on ESP32-CAM, adding board_build.partition = min_spiffs.csv has been the solution for me.

Hi Orionevo, have you found any solution yet ?
I have the same issue with my Rotex GW smart 35T(Daikin Altherma 3 C)

Hey guys,

I have an Altherna 3 R F (EHVH04S18EJ6V), see photo attached.

I removed the top black part and removed some screws and I found a little PCB board. However I didn’t find the X10A pins. Do you know where I should look? Do I need to remove the bottom cover or something else?

Thanks all!

It’s not on this side, it’s behind the metal plate on which this plastic part is resting.

Great thanks, gonna take a look.

EDIT /// so removed the bottom part and it wasn’t here, it was directly behind the metal plate behind the black part. I successfully found the x10A pins, got 5 of em so great, gonna start the coding.

Concerning the #include to use, where can you check which one to use depending of your machine? Is it written somewhere on the PCB or maybe the documentation or the stamp?