Daikin app controller firmware update from 1.19.0 to 2.8.0, now it is broken!

I have installed these ZigBee switches inbetween the power outlet and the power input of our indoor units. They are small enough to fit inside the housing. Since they are monitoring electricity usage with a little tuning you can get the status of your AC in real time through HA (on Z2M here). They work very reliable here.

Thanks for sharing.

That’s interesting. So do you use IR to control your aircon but with the help of this energy monitor you get the accurate status of whether it’s on or off?

The monitor looks awesome but I believe by law in Australia one can’t install it unless it’s the electrician doing it?

Correct. Broadlink 12 x RM4/RM4c minis (for 12 AC units). I’ve put them inside the indoor units close to the IR receivers. Thus no IR blasters laying around.

Yup. Instantly. And if you take your time to measure wattage used by the AC units you can also differentiate between the AC modes (is cooling/heating or in fan mode).

How it looks in Lovelace you can see here.

I can not answer you this one since I am not living in Austrailia. However, with some basic knowledge about electrical systems (basically only Lin, Lout, Nin and Nout) installation is a breeze.

1 Like

So you connected it between the phase from the outdoor unit to the indoor unit?
Do you know what happens if the ZigBee switch switches off the inddor unit, but the outdoor unit keeps running?

No, simply:

• From circuit breaker: L (phase) → Lin → Lout → L at Indoor unit
  • From circuit breaker: N (neutral wire) → Nin → Nout → N at Indoor unit

If you have dedicated circuit breakers for your AC units you can even install these Zigbee relays into the circuit breaker box. A DIN rail clamp comes with every switch.

This will also cut-off power to the outdoor unit if you switch the relay to off. Thus the outdoor unit wont keep running.

The indoor unit usually has no dedicated circuit breaker as it is usually directly connect to the outdoor unit.

The wiring is showm in the last picture of this first post. One wire is the control signal between indoor and outdoor unit.

Best is to check the installation manual for your Daikin model(s).

As for our Daikin models (FTMxxx, FTVxxx, FTCxxx) the schematics are as follows:

Main Power → Circuit Breaker → Indoor Unit → Outdoor Unit

Use a Multimeter and test the lines.

This would be a better solution:

It uses wifi instead of horrible stateless infra-red, and is a plug and play replacement for the existing controller.

1 Like

I actually checked the site before, and it doesn’t seem to be available now. Also AU Alira X models are not on the supported list anyway. I am using horrble stateless IR now, and manually maintaining the state (by not using the aircon remote or Daikin’s horrible apps). It has worked just fine anyway…

1 Like

UK Amazon does not ship internationally (I changed my location and it became available). You either have to use a UK mail forwarding service or send the production files to JLCPCB to get some made, there will be a minimum order quantity. Or make one yourself.

Any AC that uses the S21 port will very likely work. It has not been listed simply because no one has tried it or added a PR to confirm it yet. Looking at the diverse range of models it does support I’d put very good money on a bet that it will work.

2 Likes

With that forwarding services from the UK excellent for me living in SE Asia. Certainly much better than those horrible stateless infra-red. Can you please post a screenshot of how this looks within a lovelace card?

I don’t have one. But it would look like this: Thermostat Card - Home Assistant

1 Like

The local API must still be available as the phone app can still control the aircon locally. The question is what the new local API looks like…

I’ve posted some payload here:

Yes, thank you. I saw it and replied to it.

1 Like

My Daikin was installed about a month ago. I chose Daikin specifically because of the API and HA integration. It stopped working over the weekend and now is requiring a firmware update to do anything even through its own app.

Ridiculous!

I’ve been capturing data and messaging with my AC unit and was able to decode some of the protocol, things like internal temperature/humidity and temperature set point.
Tonight I’m hoping to be able to start/stop the unit using a command line REST tool.

I’m hoping the developers will have some time to refactor the code and at least implement what I was able to reverse engineer.

Cheers

Update: I created two rest services on Home Assistant and I can start and stop the heater in my AC unit calling a heater_on or heater_off service.

I guess this is progress.

Cheers

1 Like

I’ve managed to capture all operations allowed in the Daikin Mobile Controller app. See my comment in github here: Daikin WIFI controller BRP084Cxx firmware update from 1.19.0 to 2.8.0 breaks local API · Issue #99251 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Does anybody know a way to figure out over API if the fan of inner unit is on or off. I already thought of the outlet temperatur, but this seems also not to be available.