DALI lighting system integration

Hello,
I was thinking to install some LED panel in my house and I was figuring out out to control and dimmer them via some Shelly dimmer when I bumped in the DALI system.
I read somewhere that exist some gateways to convert DALI//MQTT but I was trying to understand what would be the way I have to take to integrate my LED panel with HA.
Thank You for your help

M.

1 Like

Possibly a little late, but here I go.
I have a dali to mqtt gateway and several dali balasts on my network. To set this up, you need the gateway, ballasts, and if the gateway doesn’t provide power, you also need a dali power supply (if you’re still looking in to buying the gateway, i would choose the external power). Next I handle all my mqtt stuff through node-red.
Greetings,
Benoit

1 Like

Hi Benoit,

May I ask which setup you are using?
I’m looking into a DALI setup, but in Home Assistant it isn’t that straight forward to integrate this.

Thanks

Hi,
My setup is still a WIP , but as of now I use Gateway / DALI / MQTT , with a separate dali psu (Tridonic DALI PS2).
It’s not very straightforward, as I also use node-red for further communication. I have no buttons yet, as I use home assistant on a tablet on the wall.

Hello there, I bought a MQTT / Dali converter from Adfweb and i connected it and found the devices and its connecting to my mqqt broker in Home assistant but ii have no idea how to make the devices work in Hassio. I can controll them via the dali console from ADFweb but thats it. Would you consider with a payment to help me set up few lights?

I can. Find me on twitter @benutti ?

I followed you but i can not DM you

Hello - we manufacture a DALI hat for the Pi, are looking for someone to work on our python code base - would you be interested? it has a lot of features including DT8

I have some experience in programming, but don’t expect wonders. I have a full time job as a luminary engineer and have little time next to that.

Our hardware supports Apple HomeKit and can this way be integrated into Home Assistant. You could either use our KNX Bridge or SmartCore, both have a dedicated native DALI Port. We can control dimmable and tuneable white DALI lights for now, each individually addressable from 0-63. Broadcast is also supported and of course we synchronise the status both ways in case you have other DALI controllers such as keypads or rotary dimmers. Supporting further types, such as RGB(CW) lights, motion detectors, brightness and temperature sensors are coming soon. We also demonstrated a working Proof of Concept for Matter at ISE in Barcelona a few weeks ago, so a free update to Matter will come as well. Longterm (3-6 months) we are also thinking about supporting Home Assistant natively without bridging via HomeKit or Matter.

https://atios.ch/en/shop

Hello.

Does anyone have adfweb dali / mqtt converter HD67941-B2 ?
I recently bought this but I can’t operate it from home assistant. According to the status of the LED on the dali / mqtt converter, I have a connection via mqtt communication.

Hi @paulus1 ,
I have the Dali MQTT adfweb installed in my house. What is exactly your problem?

1 Like

I want to integrate adfweb dali/mqtt into home assistant software, so that I can control everything from home assistant. I already contacted adfweb but they can’t help me in this.

thanks Benutti for your help, now it works :+1: :beers:

Hi, I’m also planning to buy DALI ↔ MQTT gateway from ADFweb. I have 3 question, for you before I buying it :smiley:
How many DALI devices do you have ?
How long does it take from pressing command “on/off or brighness change” on frontend to:

• actually turn it on/off ?
  • to receive status back on frontend (e.g. status on/off, brightness change) ?

Thank you !!! =)

Hey @luuxiii

I share my experience:
In my house I have
37 dali lights
No dali sensors
21 Lunatone Dali coupler MC+ (link)

The Dali system works great without any delay on the dimming by the couplers (all my lights are connected to the wall switches by an MC+.)

I have the ADFWeb dali2mqtt getaway but unfortunately I’m not happy about it. The problem is that the gateway scans continuously the Dali bus in order to read the lights status, this scan, overload the dali network and in my case randomly light on a light (at 20%, I have all dimmable lights).We try (me and the customer service) to resolve the problem but without any result. So I have disabled the DALI scan in order to not have the problem but I cannot read the lights status. Only turn on / off / dimming by HA.

Next step will be to buy the Dali 2 IOT gateway from Lunatone that will work for sure (link)

bye

Hello Francesco,

I have the ADF DALI/MQTT Converter (HD67941) but didn’t have any luck getting it to work.
When trying to connect to the mosquitto server on my home assistant instance I get the following error:
“Client disconnected due to protocol error”

This is my MQTT Configuration that i synched to the DALI/MQTT Module:

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Akio

Hello @wolfmar80

here my configuration page.
It’s strange that you are not able to connect.
Did you try with another connection like MQTT explorer?

Dali console port is the same, 10001

Hello Francesco,

I see that you have a Client ID defined and have checked the “Clean Session”.

For the client ID, did you add any additional config to the Mosquitto Broker in HA?
What is the reason behind the “Clean Session” checkmark?