DALI lighting system integration

So you like the ATIOS but you cant DIM or adjust the Color (tunable white light)?
Sounds like you are missing out on some of the important features, specifically dimming.
Am i getting this right?

So you have a DALI 4Net (with power supply) and the DALI-2 IoT Gateway. You are doing your basic lights config in the 4net, and then using the IoT gateway to get the lights in to HA?
Does HA recognize the IoT Gateway and all the groups, or how do you connect them together?

No, you’re not getting this right.

I can totally dim via HA. I can also dim via any other Dali controller.
However, in the latter case, HA doesn’t get the updated brightness value. In case of controlling the ballasts via a controller like a rotary dimmer, HA only gets updates when turning the lights on or off.

Note that this is only the case with my specific rotary dimmers (Lunatone). They send out relative brightness values instead of absolute values. With dimmers sending absolute brightness values, the bridge would already be able to capture them and feed them back to HA. Atios says that they will implement the capturing of relative values some time this spring.

Regarding color / tunable white: I can’t comment much on that since I do not have any corresponding ballasts. But I believe it should work with the bridge, with the exception of the above mentioned lack of feedback to HA when using different controller than HA. But you should check with Atios.

Thanks for the quick reply.
So in addition to the Atios, you also need a DALI Gateway and power supply of some sort, or is the ATIOS your dali gateway?
Do i need anything in addition to the Atios and my Dali ceiling lights? I dont have the lights yet.

You might want to read a bit about Dali before making such kind of investment decisions :slight_smile:

You need a power supply for the Dali bus.

The Atios is a gateway in the sense that it bridges between Dali and HomeKit (which can be easily integrated in HA).

Personally I would never want to have something like HA to be the only control device of my lights. Because I do not want to tap on my wall mounted tablet (which runs the HA interface) or even get my smartphone to control my lights. I want to have physical buttons or rotary dimmers. For me, HA is like an “add on” on top, e. g. for scenes, automation etc. But that’s just my personal preference.

1 Like

Disclaimer: I am working for Atios in Switzerland.

Our Atios SmartCore supports control of DALI Lights (DT6, DT7, DT8, Adress and Group control) and DALI-2 Keypads. Pairing to Home Assistant can be done via HomeKit or Matter, certified since October 2023.

Even though our alternative product Atios KNX Bridge supports DALI as well, we recommend to use Atios SmartCore. This includes 12x Relay outputs, that can be controlled with DALI buttons. And vice versa it has 12x binary inputs (8V DC to 230V AC) that can control DALI loads.

I saw you mention you control the lights thru Node Red - do you use the regular DALI-2 IoT version (art. no. 89453886) or the one with built-in Node Red server (art. no. 89453886)? Which integration you use exactly to connect Home Assistant to the gateway? Some custom component?

Hi @foxtrot ,
I use a standalone node red installation in my home server (proxmox).
Regarding the connection, the input (dali to nodered) is done by a websocket node, while the output (Nodered to dali) is done by an http connection node.

Let me know if you need help to configure it.

Ciao