Danfoss Radio Controlled Thermostats (DIY)

I have Danfoss radio thermostats in my house which talk to a Danfoss RX3. It was installed 20 odd years ago but I imagine they are very common out there even if they are not still being sold.

I would like to share a brilliant project I have come across that has allowed me to send commands to my RX3 to turn on and off my heating.

It is a beautiful solution as it gives full local control over the heating via MQTT, with no cloud, no subscription costs and no reliance on an external api. And it has the added benefit that should you want to, at anytime you can revert back to using the original thermostats.

The start of the journey for me was this video https://youtu.be/RtJpx8BZvMw by
Intermit.Tech but that was quite a while ago and at that time I had no idea how I was going to make any real use of it.

Until I found this project. The project details everything from the research through implementation and even describes an impressive heating control system. Everything is well documented and available on GitHub.

It is almost trivial to implement given the excellent documentation.

Go and have a look. It is a bit niche but if you’ve read this far I guess you have Danfoss…

2 Likes

Thanks a ton for writing this down, exactly what I was looking for!

I’ve been using it now for a few years and it has been faultless.