Darksky Integration Over Run Issue

Looking at my DarkSky API dashboard on or about Jan 14th this thing went into over drive of usage. I jumped from about 689 calls a day to 1000 and no changes have been made during that time. In face I had been traveling so I have not had much time to work on HA until recently. Now I know there where a few updates between my trips from like 100 to current 106 which I had no issues doing the upgrades. I do not remember seeing any DarkSky changes on any of them. My settings have always been the same. Plus I have had mine set for like 12 mins forever. So what caused this massive increase in calls to DarkSky? If you go up to 1000 calls before the day ends your cards will not function anymore. If you have a lovelace tab for weather stuff it will make the whole pages not show up. I tested this by adding my credit card to DarkSkys to see if I go over and sure enough all the cards and pages started working again. I checked the dashboard is it is steadily rising over time and differently now in 12 min intervals. I think this is going to cause a lot of headaches for many if something in HA is causing it to disregard the set time is does its calls and just calls every sec. Below are my configs I have had for a year now without any issues until that day in Jan when it just jacked up to full volume.

weather:

• platform: darksky
    api_key: !secret darksky_api_key
    mode: daily

sensor:

• platform: darksky
    forecast:
    monitored_conditions:
    - icon
    - summary
    - nearest_storm_distance
    - nearest_storm_bearing
    - humidity
    - temperature
    - temperature_high
    - temperature_low
    - apparent_temperature
    - apparent_temperature_high
    - apparent_temperature_low
    - wind_speed
    - wind_bearing
    - precip_type
    - precip_probability
    - precip_accumulation
    - precip_intensity
    - precip_intensity_max
    - uv_index
    - daily_summary
    - pressure
    - visibility
    - dew_point
    - wind_gust
    - cloud_cover
    - ozone
    - minutely_summary
    - hourly_summary
    - moon_phase
    - sunrise_time
    - sunset_time
    scan_interval: ‘00:12’

I use Dark Sky weather and sensor, and haven’t seen any spikes.

This is how I have my sensor setup. I wonder if the scan_interval is being parsed as every 12 seconds in your example.

#===================================
  #=== Weather Sensors from Dark Sky
  #===================================

- platform: darksky
    monitored_conditions:
      - cloud_cover
    scan_interval:
      # At least one of these must be specified:
      days: 0
      hours: 0
      minutes: 15
      seconds: 0
      milliseconds: 0

And in my configuration.yaml file, I just take the default interval:

weather:
  - platform: darksky
    units: us
    mode: daily

I rack up about 560 API calls each day.

I didn’t read closely enough. It couldn’t be parsing to 12 seconds if you are only going to 1000 API calls. The only real difference I see between our configs is the number of sensors you’re pulling through the sensor API. Perhaps Darksky is calculating the API calls differently when returning that many monitored conditions?

I have mine set for 12 mins but you maybe on to something on monitored conditions… but I have asked others that have the same amount and they are staying under the limit. I am monitoring it over the next couple of days.