Dashboards in subdirectories

I’ve been using hadashboard for some time now and it works great. I tend to be a bit of a clean freak at times and I would like to organize my dashboards better. Currently I have 2 main panels, one for tablets and one for phones. Each of these has about 20 or so additional .dash files or .yaml files. What I would like to do, which I’m unsure if it’s possible, is nest there supporting files in sub folders. Is this possible?

• dashboards/
    • MainPanel.dash
    • mainSubDirectory/
      • supporting.dash
      • supporting2.dash
      • supporting.yaml
      • supporting2.yaml
      • etc…
    • small_MainPanel.dash
    • small_mainSubDirectory/
      • supporting.dash
      • supporting2.dash
      • supporting.yaml
      • supporting2.yaml
      • etc…

i think i have spoken with andrew about this in the time that V2 was created, but i am not sure (is a year ago)
i would suggest you try it out.
you have working dashboards? then just create a subdir and put some of the files into it.
restart AD and see if the dashboard still works.
if yes, then it is possible :wink:

Yeah, ive tried that. I even put the directory in the link. It will display, but will not go to the other panels.

#
# Main arguments, all optional
#
title: Main Panel
widget_dimensions: [122, 120]
widget_margins: [5, 5]
columns: 8

layout:
    - include: main/top_panel
    - include: main/main_middle_panel
    -
    - include: main/scene_panel
    - include: main/bottom_panel

maybe we need to check with @aimc for this.
it would be logical if it is possible, but i am not sure.
i started out with a lot of subfiles also when i did the most of my development, but lately i have been busy with other stuff.
so i never tried anything like that.
my dashboard dir has 109 files at the moment so, when i get back to developing that part it would be helpfull to be able to splitt it up also.

but i bugged him for enough things lately, so i didnt ask for it if it isnt possible :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

@Bigrob8181 Did you find a solution for this?

Unfortunately i was never able to figure it out. I havent really messed with hadashboard aka appdaemon in a while despite it still being part of my setup.

there is still no option to make subdirs for dashboard files.
but when the beta version from AD 4 is released we will start working to make dashboard way better then it is and give it a lot more posibilities.
this is 1 of the things that will be changed at that time.

Great, will wait for v4. For me, HaDashboard is the main interface to my system. Lovelace is only for development / debug.

I found some workaround by using yaml file to keep all widgets and using dash just for the layout. The yaml files are placed in subfolders so it help me to separate mobile from table widgets.

1 Like