Database upgrade in progress since 6h after update core_2024.8.0

Crashed again … Downgraded via Backup to prior 2024.8.0 and now cleaning the database via the development tools.

This may take days, but what do you do to escape the crash-cycle…

This update sucks…

For my database (MariaDB), the update always seems to stop around 2:30 a.m. Therefore the update stops and restarts. Can the update be canceled?

how do i check if it’s completed?

i saw the update message and my HA crashed with my proxmox n now i do not know if the database is updated or not.

tried to do a back up restore but it keeps crashing. my version shows 2024.8

I check on my PhpMyAdmin Db, he has stopped again at 15%,look like HA has a limit of time do doing this

I have the same problem. Db is 51GB, took days till it finally failed. I’m going back to 2024.7.4. What did you do to clean your database if you don’t mind me asking?

My database is 62MB in the morning and almost 70MB before I shrink it again.
Don’t understand how you can have a database from 51GB :roll_eyes:

Our environments are most likely very different. I’m running 30 particle sensors (Sensirion SPS30) that updates every 5 second together with ~50 climate sensors. They all write to a mariaDB database. Any help on how to keep the database size down is appreciated.

Did you read the link I posted?
Is it necessary to hold all that data from all your sensors for more than X hours/days?

Started the update at 23:07 (2.1gb database on a 16gb Intel NUC with a core i3). 8 hours later logbook isn’t working, home assistant cannot be restarted (giving warning about database upgrade in progress) and MariaDB log shows the below. What could be the culprit?

2024-08-16 23:10:08 19 [Warning] Aborted connection 19 to db: ‘homeassistant’ user: ‘homeassistant’ host: ‘172.30.32.1’ (Got an error reading communication packets)
2024-08-16 23:10:08 17 [Warning] Aborted connection 17 to db: ‘homeassistant’ user: ‘homeassistant’ host: ‘172.30.32.1’ (Got an error reading communication packets)
2024-08-16 23:10:08 18 [Warning] Aborted connection 18 to db: ‘homeassistant’ user: ‘homeassistant’ host: ‘172.30.32.1’ (Got an error reading communication packets)
2024-08-16 23:10:08 22 [Warning] Aborted connection 22 to db: ‘homeassistant’ user: ‘homeassistant’ host: ‘172.30.32.1’ (Got an error reading communication packets)

EDIT: might be noteworthy to say I upgraded from 2024.7.4 directly to 2024.8.2

How much memory is allocated to MariaDB? Another way to answer this is how much memory is it consuming.

Am 99% sure it is 1 gigabyte. Am fully sure it is the default amount (as changing that is quite hard)

Rolled back a backup, did a full purge of my DB (last time I kept 7 days of history resulting in 2.2Gb, this time did 0 days which resulted in about 740Mb). This time the upgrade went as expected.

Yes, it’s very funny.
I have a database running on MariaDB, external. Weight ~25 GB. Yes, I store several years of values. There is space, why not? So - 9 hours it is unclear what was happening, there is no progress bar, I rebooted. Everything works fine. But I looked at the Proxmox summary - these 9 hours are constant reading and writing to the disc (which is SSD), and network activity. And no values are recorded. Super. I would like to know from the developers, or from the wonderful (honestly!) community a manual way to update the database via Adminer. That would be super!

1 Like

hello.
My database is more than 50gb ( a lot of sensor, and consumption sensors) with a lot of exceptions (without exceptions was more than 80gb of database)

With the update to 2024.8 i have some problems, but solved increasing the innodb_buffer_pool_size to 2GB.

but with the update to 2024.8.2 its imposible to finish.
Takes one day and crash.
I try 3 trimes and allways crash because a timeout.

I open a issue:
Database migration errors in 2024.8.2 · Issue #124186 · home-assistant/core (github.com)

2 Likes

after third attempt the database finish with the migration.
I do nothing.
only reboot when a errors of migration, and start again.

and in this third attempt y after 36 hours a message of migration done, apears.

mi database have more than 40gb

Hi, I have the same problem my database is over 40gb. How did you increased the innodb_buffer_pool_size to 2gb?

MariaDB Enterprise Server Configure the InnoDB Buffer Pool — MariaDB Documentation

I use this query:
SET GLOBAL innodb_buffer_pool_size=(2 * 1024 * 1024 * 1024);

but after a reboot, the innodb_buffer_pool backs to the original value.
Only works as temporaly solution. but works in my case

Update; I enabled remote access so I can view the status via ACE and the ‘show processlist’; My DB is 16GB and it looks like this is going to take a while as I got 1% in 3 mintues…

Currently for me it’s seriously taking days before the upgrade is done and my HA is rebooting after a few hours (so the process starts again?). I don’t think this is working as it should I guess. Does anyone know how I can follow the progress when the MariaDB add-on is active?

I’m running:

• On a Raspberry PI 4B 8GB with SSD (Samsung Eco 870)
  • Hass OS 13.1
  • Core 2024.9.0
  • Supervisor 2024.08.0
  • MariaDB via Addons

I’m waiting till the database upgrade is done so I can move towards the Raspberry Pi 5.

The Database upgrade at Core 2024.8.0 my system survived. It took a day, but then it was ok.
Now with 2024.9.0, the upgrade failed after being busy for 36 hours.
The database update started again to update at a restart.
I roled back to Core 2024.8.3.
This was only possible after a hard reset.
What can I do now?

Have the same problem in phpmyadmin I can see that the table upgrade runs until 45% and then restarts again and again for 4 days now with a lot of reading and writing to my SSD. I have an HP thin client with an i5 and 16gb of ram. This also means that for the past 4 days no data is recorded. Even after the 2024.9.1 update it continues.

Don’t really want to revert an backup and shrinking my database witch makes me loose a lot of data.