Datactl command not found

Trying to move my data partition to an empty USB flash drive. I am able to login via ssh terminal (via side bar and via putty). When I give command “datactl move dev/sda” i get response that datactl command is not found. What am i doing wrong?

Also tried ha os datamove but no luck there

Anybody with suggestions? With my knowledge help texts are not pointing me towards right direction :slight_smile:

ha os datadisk move /dev/sdx

Thanks but not working in my case. Just to be sure I am on SSH terminal from Hassio.
Would you suggest try to complete transfer to SSD and boot from there? Raspberry Pi 4.

You probably need to be on an OS-level ssh session (port 22222)

Is the GUI approach not working for you?

GUI approach is either resulting in a time out with datamove or no supported devices are found. Could be to do with in the end incorrect SSD bought :slight_smile:

I also got a timeout error, even with the cli call. After a reboot it was using the SSD though.

You need to be on root. I have done this on an odroid and the instructions stipulate root access.

Most likely my programming skills but I get the feeling I better start with new install directly on SSD and then restore backup. But most importantly take my time deciding how to continue instead of messing up any further haha :slight_smile:

Are you using port 22222?

Difficult, SSH is opened on 22222 now after some errors. But when I connect via Putty and try the datamove command it responds “This command set is specifically designed for the Home Assistant Operating System”, so clearly not getting through the OS SSH :slight_smile:

Did you ever find out how to resolve the ‘datactl command not found’ error?

Well, did not find it “Datactl”, but it seems there are alternatives.

This one “datadisk move” did not work either.

But the absolute easiest way was to use the GUI of HA: Common Tasks - Operating System - Home Assistant

Just this …

USING UI TO MOVE THE DATA PARTITION

1. Connect the data disk to your system.
  2. Go to Settings > System > Storage in the UI.
  3. Press the three dots on the top right and choose “Move datadisk”
  4. Select the data disk from the list of available devices.
  5. Press “Move”.

But it only worked after cleaning up the disk (removal of all partitions, creating a new large one, not formatted).
Disk partition (160GB) was only then usable , with the size bigger than the SDcard memory size. (32GB), and only then visible as possible target.

If you wanted to remove the data disk from your set up and revert to a 1 disk system, how would you do that?