Debian 12 (bookworm) supported?

Even with the message, it’s running fine. Except systemd-resolved. I had to install it again (was somehow removed and openresolve stopped working).

PS: Using supervised

1 Like

So I did a dry run fresh install on an RPi4 that I had done a Bullseye RPi4 Fresh install on, then done a dist-upgrade through APT to Bookworm. I installed the deps for a supervised install, and then installed the supervised deb package available with the following command: sudo BYPASS_OS_CHECK=true apt install ./homeassistant-supervised.deb - this bypasses the Debian 11 system check and compels the install. The supervised install works although runs into issues configuring NetworkManager unless it is previously configured and external control of your networking will be unavailable. Since systemd-resolved is not the default manager in Debian 12, and requires manual reinstallation, I anticipate there will be hiccoughs here for the average user. I have not tried on an install where NetworkManager is previously configured prior to a dist upgrade. Aside from this issue, supervised will whinge about not being on a supported OS (although this can be suppressed via CLI) but has run without issue for 24h now.

While browsing the HA github pages, I came across this: Bug Report: Debian 12 not listed as supported OS · Issue #296 · home-assistant/supervised-installer · GitHub . Seems like the support for Bookworm is coming in the next release (without any confirmation when).

Good to see things are happening!

Homeassistant states in its own documentation, that it only supports bookworm:

Supported Operating System, System dependencies and versions

Docker CE (Community Edition) is the only supported containerization method for Home Assistant Supervised. We only support FHS 3.0 on the host file system.

• Docker CE >= 20.10.17
  • Systemd >= 239
  • NetworkManager >= 1.14.6
  • udisks2 >= 2.8
  • AppArmor == 2.13.x (built into the kernel)
  • Debian Linux Debian 12 aka Bookworm (no derivatives)
  • Home Assistant OS-Agent (Only the latest release is supported)

See https://github.com/home-assistant/architecture/blob/b85484512dd8f27338c6ae2ff28e9a7cf78abb2f/adr/0014-home-assistant-supervised.md

Nevertheless installation of homeassistant-supervised.deb fails

Just saw on github:

“Bug Report: Debian 12 (bookworm) support #299
Debian 12 (bookworm) is now the default install for Debian. It was released on June 10th, and superseded Debian 11 (bullseye). The supervisor package current is not setup to support Debian 12, thus blocking the ability to install.”

The homeassistant-supervised.deb package does not expect Debian 12. You could install Debian 11, it is easy to upgrade to Debian 12 after you get HA running. I suspect that is what everyone currently using Debian 11 will be doing over the next few months.

1 Like

i installed debian 12 supervised today the only thing i needed to do before installing disable modemmanager install systemd-resolved i always when installing HA copy past commands from here so it also installs jq wget curl udisks2 libglib2.0-bin network-manager dbus systemd-journal-remote Installing Home Assistant Supervised on Debian 11 - Community Guides - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io) all works fine auto discovery and addons no issues for now yes unsupported OS so unsupported system but i install things outside HA anyway so my setup always shows unsupported but as long as it shows healthy im ok with that. i thought i test 12 im going to move my 5/6 year old debian install to new machine with proxmox and debian in VM but im still bit scared it all works so well i used clonezilla to copy the phisical drive to VM drive but its going to be a mess because it uses nvidia GPU for plex jellyfin ffmpeg compreface frigate etc and the new one has only Iris Xe igpu but all for less power usage its a old dell server the new one gen12 i7 1270p. but to use the iris xe as vgpu in debian i at least need kernel version 6.1 so debian 12 would be perfect because it comes with 6.1.

1 Like

you should have read the install instructions. It specifically mentions that was removed and needed to be manually added

And you should recognize, that i upgraded before the official support. Therefore no install notes :wink:

I have a problem during installation
For some reason I’m losing my internet connection, but I’m connected on the local network

wget https://github.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer/releases/latest/download/homeassistant-supervised.deb
apt install ./homeassistant-supervised.deb

I am getting an error

Connecting to github.com (github. com)|140.82.121.4|:443… failed: No route to host.

And since then I have no access to the internet, did the dns settings get messed up… I’m not sure

To fix all this, I have to restart the network settings using the commands that chatGPT wrote for me

I’ve been trying to switch the system to debian 12 for a couple of hours now and I’m starting to get a headache

The command creates a veth (Virtual Ethernet)
And for this reason I lose internet

I still haven’t been able to install HA

There were install notes for the pre-release of bookworm

sure sounds like it.
Try re-installing the requirements again (there’s a command line in the installer to do that)

Ok, you mean the Debian release notes. Yeah I was aware of that. Would not be an issue but symlinks where screwed up… Don’t get me wrong, I just added my notes to the thread to help others.

Hi, I am new here.
Is Debian 12 supported now?
Can I do a fresh install on a RPI4 Model B?
And then install Home assistant supervised?
Thanks in advance!

I get the same issue. Anytime the supervisor docker container restarts, it adds a route to itself for all traffic like this:

default 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 veth393c311

As this is inserted above the real default route, it blocks the internet traffic.
So far I have been unable to find out why HA does this. If you delete the route, internet traffic will work again:

route del -net 0.0.0.0 0 veth393c311

For now, I just added a cron job (untested, I have not yet had the issue after creating this. Edit: it works):

route del -net 0.0.0.0 gw 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0"

Did this happen since the last update?
Because I did that one remotely (ssh, over vpn) and rebooted after and can’t reach the machine ever since, so this could explain.

I believe this issue appeared when I updated Debian to 12.

1 Like

On a recent install, I added home assistant supervised on top of fresh bookworm image (DietPi) and lost Internet connectivity after the first step in the official script. Turned out that I had to adjust the dns server in /etc/resolv.conf back to the original as this was changed to 127.0.0.53.
Hope this helps some people facing the same!

I too am having issues installing home assistant supervised on Debian 12 while following the official documentation.

When I install one of the requirements - " systemd-resolved -y " I lose internet connection and cannot progress until I disable systemd-resolved.

Once I do, I am able to completed the installation but afterwards I am left with no internet access even after restoring systemd-resolved.

On another machine I can browse to 10.X.X.X:8123 and I get the HA loading screen. DNS seems to be broken.

Is your internet still working post installation of HA? I found that systemd-resolved keeps changing /etc/resolv.conf to point to 127.0.0.53 as this is a symlink file. Did you delete the symlink file and create a manual resolv.conf file?