Debian download for odroid n2+

Just realised that as well as Debian both that and HA run on a computer thingy and need electricity …so a triple correlation … you should probably buy a lottery ticket this week. :yawning_face:

Home Assistant supports running on Windows and MacOS too but they are not supported here.

If it’s related to home assistant it seems that the question would be something to ask on here too. It’s a forum not customer service. Idk y your getting worked up about asking a question. The answer would help other people trying to do the same thing so I don’t understand the downside. I couldn’t find a docker image of mumble server I could install as an addon so this was how I did it :man_shrugging: if home assistant supported everything I needed that would be cool but I don’t see why I should run so many machines. Also yes “xappo” they do use electricity. This is why I don’t wanna run multiple machines. If I was asking about a good ups system for a machine running home assistant it would be useful to see what people on the forum had to say. Maybe theirs a ups that has a smart feature compatible with the home assistant so it knows when to power down or make backups to prevent data loss :man_shrugging:

Therein lies the issue. Ask it in a more appropriate forum/context. Filling this forum with non HA specific questions tires everyone and makes this forum overall less responsive

It also creates an archive of information available that allows people to find answers without having to post a question. Because the answer is already there. If the question I ask is tiring you out you don’t have to answer, and responsiveness would be less necessary if the information is more available due to someone already asking the question. Like me.

Also, again, it is related to home assistant. So it is home assistant specific. Like I found out buster was the one compatible and now that information is on here.

Good suggestion… done from now on

That information is already stated in the ADR that Taras and I linked to. And also in probably a 100 posts on this forum…

Except they only support the latest version and Debian 11 Bullseye was released yesterday. So that is now the supported version.

https://www.debian.org/News/2021/20210814

Ya I couldn’t find a download of that so I went with buster.

Hi!
I had the same question lately… To put it into perspective:

• There’s only one existing hardware device created specifically for Home Assistant, Blue (with Yellow upcoming, but not released yet), and it’s based on Odroid N2+, hence officially supported and recommended.
  • There are only two officially supported operating systems: Bullseye and HassOS.
  • While there are existing images of HassOS for Odroid N2+, those who want to run a “supported” installation in Supervised mode rather than OS mode on Blue (again, official HA device) have to figure it out themselves…

So, I’ve just successfully installed Bullseye with GNOME on my Blue, and put a Supervised installation on top of it — and it does recognize itself as a supported install!

I did that using these scripts. These scripts only support Bullseye, Focal and Jammy, so I used a Pi 4 running 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS (basically, aarch64 bullseye), which also meant I could use native compilation, rather than cross-compilation.
I’ve set all the options (don’t forget to edit userdata.txt and set emmc=1 if you’re using attached MMC), ran “make menu”, chose “Odroid N2+”, “Make all”, and a couple hours later I had an image ready to flash with Raspberry Pi Imager (again, all of this was done on a Pi 4 — if you have a Bullseye desktop, then it’s going to be cross-compile and Balena Etcher for you) onto a SD card.
I then booted from that card, “sudo write2mmc”, removed card, ran “sudo apt install task-gnome-desktop”, and from there it was just the standard process of installing a Supervised HA.

That is true only for Home Assistant Supervised.
You are free to run Home Assistant Container on a wide variety of OSs including some NAS devices. You do not get addons though but, in my opinion, that is a feature.

That GNOME UI chews us a lot of resources and generally is not needed for an HA server.

Still, consider this as a guide how to install Home Assistant Supervised onto a Home Assistant Blue.
GNOME is, of course, optional, and you can always go with something like Xfce should you need a desktop environment at all. My next step with this setup will be to try installing Frigate (with a Home Assistant add-on, of course) and setting it up to use Coral USB accelerator.

If you install it on that server, it is no longer vanilla Debian so technically unsupported by anyone except you. :wink:

I disagree: it’s like saying that installing Home Assistant in a container on a NAS is unsupported because that server is also running NAS software. Frigate is just another Docker container, it doesn’t modify the host OS itself in any way.

See ADR-0014 This is straight from the developers.

This installation method can easily be broken if one manages the operating system incorrectly. Therefore, the following additional conditions apply:

• The operating system is dedicated to running Home Assistant Supervised.
  • All system dependencies are installed according to the manual.
  • No additional software, outside of the Home Assistant ecosystem, is installed.
  • Docker needs to be correctly configured to use overlayfs2 storage and journald as the logging driver.
  • NetworkManager is installed and enabled in systemd.

Again, if Frigate is installed as an add-on, this still technically fits, no problem there. :slight_smile:

Ivan, Are you still using debian from the site you mentioned. If yes what version of kernel and u-boot are you using? Been trying to get it working on n2 and having a couple of issues. The guy that owns the scripts is starting to think the issue I have is N2 related.

cross link to Debian install on n2+