Debug custom sentence voice assist

Hello
A bit of backdrop:

• internal and external (homeassistant cloud) URLs with https active
  • HA companion app on ios across multiple devices works - meaning both internal (non-routable) domain + external domain are functional
  • basic voice assist commands turn off this, turn on that also works brilliantly

I have a water sensor with an alias say our water consumption today. I’d like to get its state along with units.
Expected response: our water consumption today is 50 gallons.

So, per documentation, I created config/custom_sentences/xyz.yaml with following content

language: "en"
intents:
  HassGetState:
    data:
      - sentences:
          - what is <name> [in <area>]
          - is <name> {state} [in <area>]

responses:
    intents:
      HassGetState:
        default: "{{ slots.name }} is {{ state.state_with_unit }}"

lists:
    state:
      values:
        - "on"
        - "off"
        - open
        - closed
        - unlocked
        - wet
        - dry

Sentence parsing works like a charm as well. Here’s the response in Developer tools --> Assist panel

intent:
  name: HassGetState
slots:
  name: our water consumption today
details:
  name:
    name: name
    value: our water consumption today
    text: our water consumption today
targets:
  sensor.paani_today_s_water_usage:
    matched: true

But, no actual response is heard on the ios assistant. Dashboard voice assist response (both text and voice) works as intended. Siri shortcut (on ios) doesn’t. Unfortunately, i do not have any other devices (e.g. esp32-based) with microphone to test whether this may just be an ios-specific issue. No additional debug logs appear in Settings-->Voice assistants-->Jarvis (Jarvis is, predictably, my voice assistants’ name).

Any pointers on how would one go about troubleshooting the issue?

Have you tried using the Assist feature on your dashboard? IOW if you just type your sentence to the assistant, does it give you the correct response?

Thank you, @pdoyle. I should’ve mentioned a tiny fact in the post above. Dashboard voice assist response (both text and voice) works as intended. Siri shortcut (on ios) doesn’t. The shortcut is taken from the link off of homeassistant page for voice.