deCONZ - Official thread

Iam running HA in docker on a nuc. The nuc only has USB 3.0 ports. I already use a 3m USB extender. I will See if I can get a cheap USB 2 hub.
This is really weird. There must be a method to measure the data that gets lost so we can see what goes wrong where. I dont know how to use vnc tiger well.

thats my picture:

But everything works fine.
Sometimes it is amazing, that two bulbs relatively close together have only a red or no connection and two others, far away, have a green connection :slight_smile:
But: the result is key :slight_smile:

Wow,
The weird thing is that the connection between all of my bulbs seems fine.

Now i got the ingress error and nothing is working anymore after i tried to change the usb port, lol.
i can enter the deconz page in HA but no lights get detected, cant change zigbee channel, firmware update says not connected. I tried to clear cache and cookies of the browser, unistalled the deconz addon and resetted the getway, restarted home assistant multiple times. nothing.
this thing wants to kill me
These are the error codes i get from HA

20-02-09 17:54:37 WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.api.ingress] Ingress for -BQb8Gtl_lbYrQ5o9cAhUqK6ZRYI-hq5ZbJv2rswpO0 not available
20-02-09 17:55:17 ERROR (MainThread) [hassio.api.ingress] Ingress error: None
20-02-09 17:56:33 ERROR (MainThread) [asyncio] Unclosed connection
client_connection: Connection<ConnectionKey(host='172.30.33.3', port=8099, is_ssl=False, ssl=None, proxy=None, proxy_auth=None, proxy_headers_hash=None)>
20-02-09 17:56:33 ERROR (MainThread) [asyncio] Unclosed connection
client_connection: Connection<ConnectionKey(host='172.30.33.3', port=8099, is_ssl=False, ssl=None, proxy=None, proxy_auth=None, proxy_headers_hash=None)>

Ok, since no one commented my last post, I went a did what Robban said here:

Didn’t work. All my groups are not available in the interface and the configurator never opened, so I have no idea if the groups are duplicated or not. Since I am on a virtual machine I reverted it back to 0.103.6. Removing the integration, upgrading and adding the integration again didn’t work too.

Does anyone have any idea what can I do now?

Thanks for your help.

Hi

The problem with USB 3 is unique to the Raspberry Pi 4 where there is some strange issue with SSDs on USB3 in combination with USB serial devices. And what seems to help is to move the SSD to a USB2 port which makes it slower but cures the problem. On your NUC it has no significance that the ports are USB3
The USB hub is also a Raspberry Pi thing.

The extention USB cable can help on all computers. It is a matter of moving the Conbee away from noise (electrical radio noise) item like the computer itself. If you move the Conbee away from the NUC but place it next to another device that makes noise then it does not helpor can get worse. The idea is to move the Conbee stick a bit away from anything electrical so the radio reception is less disturbed.
And you can also maybe place it a bit high so it is higher than most furniture. That can also increase the range.

With respect to scenes.
It all comes to the size of the group

I also use scenes with 7 or 8 lights and it seems to work most of the time. I try to think about how much I change at a time.

The good thing in Phoscon/deconz is that you can create as many groups as you want and the same light can be in multiple groups. So you can create subgroups for lights that you set to the same settings.

Let us say you have a living room with 10 lights. 7 of them should be set to 50% and 3 of them to 80 %. Then create two groups of the 7 and 3 and in your Home Assistant scene you now only need to set two lights groups. And in the zigbee network it becomes only two commands sent.

I have scenes where I do not use a group with 12 lights that turn on when it gets dark. And it mostly works. But I notice that sometimes a light is missed when I come home. It is not critical in this instance because all I want is the house to appear busy.

What you really want to avoid is combinations of intensity, colour and using stepwise transitions. There are many examples people make with scripts that makes transitions sending many small steps. Then you end up sending 10 messages for 10 lights to turn on. Then 10 messages to change colour. And the next seconds 100s of messages stepping up intensity. That does not work well. Zigbee is not a fast communication channel. It has a very limited bandwidth

2 Likes

Thank you these are really good advices you made! but first i have to get the conbee running again. like you see in my post above something serious broke and iam trying for hours to get this right again…

Very interesting aspects to think about even I have scenes with 8 to 10 devices in the living room.
Thanks a lot.

Does anyone know why the Aqara vibration sensor has (as a binary sensor) the device_class motion instead of vibration?

Hi guys,
I am using deconz for some time, have multiple Ikea bulbs (1 group) paired and no issues with managing through home assistant.

I just purchased Xiaomi Aqara/Opple Zigbee Smart Switch (6 buttons model) and trying to pair it with Conbee2 gateway. From the deconz menu I go to the menu - devices - switches and click “Add New Switch”. It starts scanning, at this point I reset my switch and it flashes twice as it should when it is paired. Few minutes later decons gives me - no switches found. I retried multiple times but no luck.
What is interesting here - the switch starts working somehow (4 out of 6 buttons): 1st button - turn on my IKEA bulbs, 2nd - turn off, 3d and 4th - brightness up/down. So it assigned some actions/automations to the buttons but I cannot find it anywhere (not in Deconz devices and not in HA Devices/entities), unless I look in the wrong place.

Also tried listening fro deconz_events from HA developer tools, but pressing the buttons on the switch doesn’t give anything.

Anyone has any experience with Xiaomi Aqara Opple switches?
Or it might be purely because this Xiaomi switch is not in the list of supported devices

Update: If anyone interested - found this thread on github, they say Xiaomi Opple initial support will be included in the next release.

Are you using the in-built automation editor? Maybe you should give Appdaemon a try. I have two of these cubes and none of your mentioned issues. Good luck https://www.triumvirat.org/2019/09/18/homeassistant-magiccube/

I completely reinstalled the Ubuntu server and installed home assistant in docker. Even on vanilla HA I get the ingress Error. I always get
Cannot connect to host 172.30.33.0:8099 ssl:None [connection refused]

has been corrected with 0.105

From changelog:
deCONZ - Fix magic cube awake gesture (@FrengerH - # 31403) (deconz docs) (beta fix)

I’ve setup Deconz for good friends of mine, which included pairing 50 IKEA lights but Home Assistant quickly became unstable with random crashes and CPU spikes making the system barely usable.

At my own place I’m running 20 devices and having no issues at all.

Anyone else experiencing stability issues with bigger Zigbee networks and are there any mitigations to run allot of Zigbee devices more stable on Deconz?

I have 110 nodes and have no issues

1 Like

If you are recording the history of those lights, I suggest you try turning that function off.

@Robban I own a few IKEA Trådri Remotes (round ones) which are successfully connected to my deCONZ instance. But their battery reporting behavior is really strange. But I am assuming this is rather an IKEA firmware issue than a deCONZ compatibility issue.

The strange behavior I am referring to is that the battery percentage is not accurate and it bounces up and down. One day a remote is 80% then 20% and a day or two later it’s 81% etc. I have replaced the default IKEA battery with new ones from Duracell, but that does not seem to solve the issue.

Is there anything I can check or do on deCONZ side? Or do you think that this is actually a firmware issue from IKEA as well?

And… at everyone at this forum: am I the only one experiencing this…? :sweat_smile:

I already turned the loging function off for all the individual lights and even for some sensors that are triggered often, but no results. Also swapped SD card. Memory usage is around 50% on a 1GB Pi. Maybe switching to 2GB?

Oh, I’ve seen that on my Ikea devices too. I believe it’s normal behaviour for them!

The battery levels will drop after bursts of usage, then it takes time (and several readings) before an accurate assessment can be made again.

I’ve read around forums that it’s due to voltage being used as a proxy for battery level, rather than these devices having a dedicated means of determining actual battery level.

1 Like