deCONZ - Official thread

this is indeed a bug, i created already long time ago
indeed, to fix it, you need to repair, but the issue comes back

1 Like

I may be wrong but I believe the maximum number of devices is for Deconz is 32? What happens when you go above this? Do you have to add another Conbee adaptor and if what do you need to add to the config to achieve this?

Thanks

Deconz supports around 200 devices. The maximum amount differs depending on the combination of devices used

I do have 40 devices on one stick without issues. So your assumption can not be right.

I do have 73 devices at the moment. In most cases limitation comes from gateway device (Tradfri, Smart Things, Xiaomi, ConBee) not the protocol (ZigBee can theoreticaly handle up to 65536 devices).

I just counted. 88 devices on my Conbee II based deCONZ installation. 38 of them are mains powered devices that can act as repeaters. Rest are sensors and switches.

And it runs rock solid. Better than my Hue bridge ever did with fewer devices.

I believe there’s a limit of around that number of devices that can connect directly to the conbee coordinator. However, mains powered devices will act as routers to build a mesh network. As long as there’s a route from your device back to the conbee it doesn’t need to be connected directly.

You’d come unstuck if you needed 35 battery powered sensors and had no mains devices. But throw in a few bulbs or outlets and you’ll be fine.

Zigbee works best when there are plenty of mains powered devices around to act as repeaters / routers. Range issues disappear, and connections become more stable.

And in spite of having 80% of my devices as powered repeaters and a 3m enhancement cable I often facing connection lost of different bulbs. They come back after a while and sometimes they are marked as unavailable in HA but still reacting on phoscons scenes anyway, these interruptions are annoying. I have definitely no idea, how to avoid them.

I have home assistant setup in an python env with deconz installed on the same raspberry pi. I have noticed that deconz stops working when my router dies. I assume this is because home assistant tries to connect to deconz through the LAN ip rather than 127.0.0.1 is it possible to fix this somehow? This is a biggies since my wall buttons stops working when home-assistant is down.

Thanks for your reply and for clarifying I was correct in regards to connecting all my wireless switches etc directly to the conbee stick without any powered bulbs or controls.

I don’t use bulbs indoors as all our lights now have built-in led bulbs. Does anyone know if I could use a few of the Ikea TRÅDFRI Wireless control outlet (zigbee power socket) as repeaters which would then allow me to use the socket at least, or should I get the TRÅDFRI Signal repeater which is £2 cheaper but means I can no longer use the plug socket unless I want to use it for charging a phone - which I don’t.

Thank again for everyone’s help.

yeah, using those ikea outlet also for repeater purposes, works better then the usb signal repeater, i dropped that one :slight_smile:

Can you post your map of you mesh here. Maybe there is something where we can be of assistance with to make it more reliable.

The USB repeater and the outlet have the same radio and the same antenna. So I doubt there is any difference besides the direction of the antenna when you replaced one with the other.

Oh, ok maybe it was just a feeling then

1 Like

That is possible. Or it was the mesh which connected better all together when you reconnected everything. Some devices (xiaomi for instance) are not really changing router by themselves until you force them. Maybe something like that happened. That’s why I always advice people to look at the map of their mesh.

1 Like

How far are they?

I have this problem in the garden (few devices) and not inside my house (many devices)

Hi, et voila:

The non repeating devices are hue motion sensors and two switches
I’m living in a 3 floor house. The conbee is in the first floor.
The section without number are the stairs.

Mostly from connection lost effected are the devices in the Livingroom (Wohnzimmer…).
The 2nd floor not that often but it happens and the first floor as well as kitchen and garden is rock solid.

Ok, it’s hard to find exactly which devices are the ones that cause the problems. But you can at least see from the colors of the wires that there are some bad connections out there. Green is good, yellow is might miss a few messages now and then, red is missing more then getting any… So I would really zoom in on your map, move some good things aside and take a look at the ones with the red wires connected to them and see if they “choose” the best possible connection. If you think there is a better connection through another device nearby you might want to disconnect the device and reconnect to see if it “chooses” another route.

Ok @frits1980 , thanks for your help.
The red connections shouldn’t be a proplem as long as the affected device has enough green connections to other devices, even to the conbee stick, right? I assumed these red connections as not that important. Some of them are quite logical due to the distance, some others not, but as I stated before: As long as there are enough good ones…
The real phenomen is, that, mostly in the living room and in the evening, one of these bulbs suddenly lost all connections. And it is always another bulb affected, not always the same. That’s what confusing me. :wink:

I just realized something. In the evening you are most likely there with you phone and maybe you’re not alone. Bluetooth and wifi can interfere with Zigbee. It could be a phone (or more then one) or some other device that wakes up from sleep is making just enough interference for the lights to drop off.

Yes, if enough green wires are in place that should make up for the red ones. You could make sure it stays that way (and even check for interference at the same time) to make a screen recording of VNC when you go and do your normal evening routine in the livingroom. See if there are any devices that get more red wires during that time.