Dell D610 running LXLE, how to install HA?

HA installation is clear as mud. I understand it’s a Python app that needs to run in Linux, that it needs MQTT and apparently that gets installed with HA.

I’ve searched forums, read docs, watched YouTube, already flashed Tasmota on two S31’s and ready to start, but not understanding, and it seems there have been changes recently to how HA works or what versions are supported?

I have a dedicated Dell D610 laptop with LXLE installed and running, soon to be upgraded with a 128GB SDD. The 32 bit CPU does NOT support virtualization. A Linksys Wireless-G card is on its way.

Surely there is a flavor of HA that will run on this machine? I have no budget to buy something else.

Can someone point me in the right direction please?

PS 35 years in IT, played with Linux, willing to try, please be gentle.

I think the laptop will run Debian. Try this method Installing Home Assistant Supervised on Debian 11 - #796 by francisp

…but doesn’t HA Supervised require Docker, which requires virtualization, which this CPU doesn’t support?

"Docker CE (Community Edition) is the only supported containerization method for Home Assistant Supervised. "

You may be right. You could try to install Homeassistant core which runs without docke using python.

Doesn’t that require virtualization as well?

"Next up is to create and change to a virtual environment for Home Assistant Core. This will be done as the homeassistant account.

sudo -u homeassistant -H -s
cd /srv/homeassistant
python3.9 -m venv .
source bin/activate

Bash

Copy

Once you have activated the virtual environment (notice the prompt change to (homeassistant) homeassistant@raspberrypi:/srv/homeassistant $) you will need to run the following command to install a required Python package. "

Don’t think it requires virtualization as this works on old raspberry pi. I would say to try it.

hi
you can try my instalation script GitHub - ntguest/32bit-home-assistant-supervised-installer: Home Assistant supervised installer for 32bit systems
follow instructions on sections 2 and 4. to install esphome from section 3 you wiil need to get python at least v. 3.8 for your OS

Your script references containers, which require virtualization.

“Long story short, you have to run a version of Linux that was released after 2007 and it needs to be installed on X86 hardware that supports virtualization capabilities. If both of those boxes are checked, then all you have to do is load 2 existing modules (a host kernel module and a processor-specific module), an emulator, and any drivers that will help you run additional systems.”

“Virtualization provisions the resources that containers can use. These VMs are environments in which containers can run…”

This CPU does not support virtualization.

i tried it with atom n270. It also haven’t had virtualisation but works fine with docker installed

No, docker does not need hardware virtualization.

THANK YOU, that answers the hardware virtualization question. BUT then it says:

“Docker needs a 64-bit Linux OS running a modern enough kernel to operate properly.”

and as you can see from the screenshot, this machine is 32 bit. So is ntguest’s atom n270. So how does that work?

I know, but they talk about docker-ce, which will not install on 32-bit systems. Debian recompiled docker themselves, called docker-io, and that runs fine on 32-bit systems.

Ah. Thank you! So that explains why Debian.

Although it may run fine… the wording here is not very confident:

“This package contains the daemon and client. Using docker.io on non-amd64 hosts is not supported at this time. Please be careful when using it on anything besides amd64.”

https://packages.debian.org/stable/docker.io

And yet here i386 is listed as supported:

https://hub.docker.com/_/ubuntu

Interesting. Anyway, thanks very much for the answers.