Deploying HA across 160 rooms in a nursing home for accessibility. How? Looking for opinions from those who have done commercial deployments!

We currently outsource our network management to a third party sysadmin company that also oversees the company’s Microsoft deployment. They are…okay.

We’re far enough away from actual deployment at this point that I think we could probably get a few extra APs and maybe the ability to segment things off into VLAN by function.

Interesting.

The goal here would be to enable the residents to be less dependent on staff for everyday function and comfort. I appreciate the mention of cost as well as function, a good argument can be made that by reducing the dependence on nursing staff for small tasks such as management of personal electronics/entertainment devices and environmental controls it would increase overall time for care.

An excellent point.

I need to remember to ask about installing backup / lights out walkway lights to mitigate that risk.

Not quite true? I work in occupational therapy and have been able to learn and integrate electronics tinkering and 3d printing to make a lot of unique adaptations for people. Also just buying COTS stuff like an Amazon Fire TV Cube for a high level quad who uses his voice to control his television set.

I’ve got another resident who loves his smart switches which he can use from his phone while he’s trapped in bed waiting on nursing to come, mostly to toggle power to his simple desktop fan which is pointed to the bed. He can’t reach the fan, but can toggle it with a switch.

I also make a lot of custom HID that leverage what mobility certain people have to access tablets/phones/computers.

I have limits though, and I don’t try to automate medical care for people, but giving them access to their own light switch or TV set is a pretty low risk venture.

1 Like

I think we

Excellent point, and I think I would indeed be looking at segmenting the network into one per room. Additionally while we will have 160 rooms, we are not looking at 160 active users, some are not physically/cognitively able to utilize system like this, so we can roll it out slowly, I just want a plan that would involve up to that many systems. If it comes to it I might be able to fight for that many subnets.

We get this!

Currently all residents share a single “Resident” WiFi network and it’s a hot mess of shared devices and devices that want me to share audio to and so on. Like dozens of Samsung TVs that offer to screen share and whatnot. Luckily no Chromecasts. Our residents are probably just a hair over the smartphone age or physically unable to use them.

Is this how many can be in the same building, or on the same ‘z-wave network’?

Like if I throw 1000 z-wave devices inside of a single large building, will they clash if they aren’t all paired up to the same controllers? What if I did a controller per room?

You still haven’t enumerated what you want the residents to be able to do and why Home Assistant is the solution.

My MIL is in a home and she is jealous of how much our home is automated and controlled over Alexa. The solution for her was simple. An Alexa Pod and a couple of smart lights and switches. I can’t imagine how Home Assistant would add anything to what she needs.

HA probably won’t add much, node-red might be enough, but the ability to integrate custom MCU solutions into the mix are what I’m really after.

This is an accident waiting to happen.

1 Like

Not only an accident. But, a lawsuit!!!

And, a very expensive lawsuit!

1 Like

I’d like to re-highlight this comment from above. I’ve no experience with this system, but it looks like it might meet at least some of your needs, and appears to be a commercial-grade system that would be much less likely to expose you to technical, ethical, and legal pitfalls.

I see their legal department has produced a safety document.

The 240 device limit is per Z-Wave coordinator, hence the use of hundreds of remote coordinators powered via PoE and contrilled remotely.

Having so many different Z-Wave radios packed together can’t be good for throughput, but supposedly this works in places like Las Vegas.

1 Like

@xgpt What is it that you want to provide? I have the idea that I’m overthinking this way too much. From what I understand now is that you want to provide the elderly with a platform to automate their homes. I’m just guessing that you want to implement HA into a home of an elderly, explain them how things work and how they can manage things; a sort of reseller. If you can avoid being liable for any misuse, misconfiguration, interruption or denial of service and if you can get the people to agree that this is “hobby-project” then you could implement Home Assistant Green - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io) with Home Assistant SkyConnect - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io) or something like Google Home or Alexa. Personally I think HA is (way) to complicated for the elderly.