Deprecated attributes in scene?

I’m seeing this message in log:

The use of other attributes than device state attributes is deprecated and will be removed in a future release. Read the logs for further details: Scenes - Home Assistant

My Scene:

scene:
  - name: livingroom_movie
    entities:
      light.living_room:
        state: on
        brightness_pct: 1

This mean I won’t be able to use brightness_pct to set the light’s brightness for movie scene…

2 Likes

so don’t use brightness_pct and use brightness instead! (0-255 is the scale so use brightness: 3)

2 Likes

@DavidFW1960, thank you and that fixed the issue.

1 Like

I’m fairly new to Hassio but I’m also getting this in my logs when I use
transition:

Am I going to have to start using scripts if I want transitions?
Hopefully not as I have already built a bunch of scenes and it would just make things even more confusing to have some of these run through scenes and other through scripts… I like to build things out consistently so I can easily troubleshoot.

Any recommendations from the home assistant veterans? Should I run a script just to do the transition part of the scene?

I converted all my scenes to scripts. That is the only way to use transitions.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that wasn’t the answer because I liked the conceptual separation between scenes and scripts. Not a big deal I guess but disappointed nonetheless. I already created mini scripts that I activate from the scene but I have a feeling this will eventually get unwieldy and I will end up using scripts entirely like you suggested.

I really hate to tell you this… but… in 0.102.x you won’t be able to call a script from a scene.
I was doing that and it stopped working in 0.102
What they want you to do with scenes is set up your lights etc as you want them, then add those entities to a scene and it records the state in the scene. Then you can apply that scene in the future. Calling a script from a scene won’t work at all…

:disappointed:

I guess I better start converting to scripts then…thanks for the heads up

are you serious? Last release i spent 4 damn hours converting all my light transitions to scripts to call in the scenes, now I cant call a script in a scene? What hell. Not a happy camper here, I have a TON of light brightness transitions that I want to have within my scenes.

So call the script directly, not from a scene… That’s what I am doing.

That severely complicates my automations. I have a set of common scenes I call, which then have scripts that pull commonly used transitions for lights.

I have over 95 automations, about 40 of them use the common scenes. So now I have to go into 40 automations and modify them to do those common things individually? Talk about a time sink. I am not very happy about this, it is an unnecessary change.

Frustration has now set in.

I feel your pain. My whole setup is totally broken as almost all of my light turn on commands are one sort of faded scene or another. There must be some way to write script that reads the contents of a scene and does the fade, but Im at a total loss where to even start. I don’t really even know how to do a light fade in a script.

How to solve this problem please

Seriously? Convert scenes to scripts.

As I understand now, there is no converter, all had to be written by hand again.

You can edit the scenes for the script format… it is almost identical…

1 Like

Guys as David says this is not a currently available option.
HA is a moving feast and everyone using it (sorry, remind me how much you paid for it again ?) has to move along with it in line with the devs guiding direction.
They need to improve Sooooo Muuuuuch but there is a mountain to be tackled here.
The features all need documentation and their are innumerable requests for new features all the time
I think for an app you pay nothing for and supported by such a brilliant community we have a very good deal.
Your options are : -

1. To adapt
  2. Go back to the earlier release and not upgrade from there

If you look at the automation editor (which many think execrable (me included)) but what potential it has, how it will bring simplification to many people completely new to HA. But in the mean time it’s causing many problems both for the newbies and the likes of David trying to support them. Do we complain, we’ll, yes we do but we see where its going and accept that this needs to be done.
If we don’t accept that there are better ways to do almost anything, we would all still be living in the trees. Bear in mind also that you adopted HA and THAT was (and is) a huge step change. This ‘change’ (again as David points out) is but a very minor creep.

1 Like

I realize this post is a bit old at this point and everyone may have already moved on and converted to scripts. But I came across it trying to solve these similar problems for myself and figured I’d help out others in the future.

If you are a Node RED user then there’s an alternative here. When scenes are activated HA fires an event that looks like this:

Using the Events: All node you can listen for this event event by setting Event Type to call_service and then using a switch node to filter on events where msg.payload.event.domain == scene, msg.payload.event.service == turn_on and msg.payload.event.service_data.entity_id == {ID of the scene you want to move to Node RED}. Then you can define your flow as normal from there using service calls, transitions, other scripts, etc., whatever you want. That flow will be called anytime your scene is activated, effectively making it a part of your scene.

After that remove the parts of your scene that you’re handling in Node RED and just leave the parts that HA still accepts (i.e. no transitions, other scenes or other scripts). Or you can completely blank out the scene in HA and just leave the stub like this:

- name: Test
  entities: {}

Even blank like that the event will still fire and the Node RED flow will run which is all that matters.

If you do this you won’t be able to edit the scene in HA so there is a downside. But if you have a ton of scenes and refactoring them to scripts and changing every place they’re referenced will take a long time then this might work better for you.

1 Like