[Deprecated] Interactive history explorer custom card

Here in the docs https://github.com/alexarch21/history-explorer-card#grouping-multiple-entities-into-a-single-graph

1 Like

Awesome, thanks!

Question, when it says:
“If you want to manage all your entities dynamically, you will need to supply an empty YAML.”

Where is that file supposed to reside and what is the filename expected to be?

No file. Just type the YAML into the card configuration on the UI. Or just leave it at the default.

1 Like

For those who wants to see this card in their own native language, you can now easily contribute ! There’s very little to translate and it’s very easy. No coding skills required. First, get the following language file with the original english texts:

Next, open this in your text editor and translate the texts on the right hand side of the colons (the red parts in the preview above). Do not translate the json keys on the left hand side (the black parts). Try to keep your translations short and concise, try to keep them roughly the same length or shorter as the english originals, if possible, so that they will fit into the UI (to clarify: that’s about the length of the text on screen, not the number of letters, those can differ). When done, PM me your json, along with the language code and I will include it in the next release.

English, French and German are already done.

Here it is the “spanish json”

{
    "ui" : {
        "label" : {
            "type_to_search" : "Seleccionar entidad a añadir       ",
            "error_retreiving" : "No se encuentran entidades disponibles!",
            "loading" : "Cargando entidades ...       ",
        }, 
        "popup" : {
            "remove_all" : "Borrar gráficos añadidos dinámicam. ?",
        },
        "menu" : {  
            "export_csv" : "Exportar como CSV",
            "remove_all" : "Borrar gráficos añadidos"
        },
        "ranges" : {
            "hour" : "1 H",
            "n_hours" : "%1 H",
            "day" : "1 Día",
            "n_days" : "%1 Días",
            "week" : "1 Semana",
            "n_weeks" : "%1 Semanas",
            "month" : "1 Mes  ",
            "n_months" : "%1 Meses "
        }
    }
}

There we go - I was not getting that from the GitHub webpage.
Many thanks for clarifying where the code goes!
Still finding my way around HA …

with my pedant hat on -

They are colons :
This is a semicolon ;

Hat off, that was a quick response to @Pharizna 's request :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, yes indeed, they are :slight_smile: That happens when you type faster than you think…

New to this card. I see the doc saying there are wildcard filters where you could generate the charts/bars dynamically?
Did I understand it correctly that I can do a “add all” card, where the charts/bars would grow when I add devices/entities?

Or maybe I’m way off…?

As to wildcards

The entity entry field accepts the * wildcard and can automatically add multiple entities that match the provided pattern. Some examples:

person.*      - Add all entities from the person domain
*door*        - Add all entities that contain the term ‘door’ in the name, regardless of domain
sensor.*door* - Add all entities that contain the term ‘door’ in the name, but only from the sensor domain
*             - Add all available entities in the list

Not 100% sure what you mean by the “add all” query. You can certainly interactively add as many entities as you want to a card, subject to processing power.

It really is a great card. I have one on my Lovelace test panel, and when I need to see some graphs, maybe as part of debugging stuff, I just delete the existing entities and add the stuff I want to look at.

I’m trying to see if this wildcard thing being a way to generate a “everything” view… basically replicate what “History” used to be, so that whenever any new entity is added to my system, sometime down the road, those entities would show up in the same “everything” view automatically.

… or if at least a way to manually identify and add new entities.

(… or here’s to hope that this feature request would get through. Yup I have voted.)

Reason being, as the codes around various integration evolves over time, entities would be added or retired or replaced or presented in a different way (say, different unit, or going from on/off to 0/1/2/3, etc.).

Hope this makes sense.
And if anyone have better ways to handle the situation, I’m all ears.

Look forward to you trying * as the entity id :slight_smile:

Ay!! Guess I should have read the docs more closely.

So the wildcard goes here:

… and not here, … I got nothing last night:

Right. The wildcards are supported by the entry field used to add entities over the UI (dynamically added entities). The entities added through the YAML do not accept wildcards (yet), you have to specify them individually.

It’s usually better to only add entities you are interested in anyway, rather than everything. This was a pretty bad design choice by the old HA history panel. While adding everything is possible, it will result in subpar performance and a lot of visual clutter. It’s best to use the card the way @nickrout mentioned, by adding what you need on demand. Other than the original history panel, the card can also create multiple independent history panels / views, showing a different set of entities. So for certain configurations, that can be a good setup too.

That said, I do plan on adding wildcard and filter support to YAML entities in the next release. This will allow the automatic display of entities matching the filter criteria. Including everything, if people really want to do that. I would still advise against it, because of the reasons mentioned above. But it will be possible.

Love it!! And thank you!

Totally understand that doing so could mean clutters and performance impacts. I do that simply because I want to figure out all those changes that weren’t obvious.

Hi.
I’m trying to use combineSameUnits: true in one of my multiple trends but it seems it only work for a variable.

Let me explain with an example

I have two variables pool_temp = piscina_temp with same unit (ºC) and another variable pool_ph = piscina_ph with the same unit (pH).

As you can see only appear in the same graph the “_temp” and there are two different graphs for the “_pH”.

The problem remains including a third variable (pool_orp and piscina_orp) with the same unit but different graphs :frowning:

Apparently, the combineSameUnits: true only works for the first variable. Doesn’t?

Combining works sequentially. The card will never second guess the user and will never change the order of graphs on its own. This is a fundamental design decision. And that includes combining. If you want all temperatures to combine in a single graph, then add them one after the other. If you add one temp, then one pH and again one temp, things will not combine because they’re not the same unit and the card will not change the order that you added them.

Offtopic, it seems you have a lot of gaps in your data. You might want to add the showUnavailable: false option to hide them.

Thank you very much, It works!

To improve:

• Reordering
  • Second Y axis in the right side