Deprecation of Modbus.restart

Since 2 Weeks, HA informs me that with 2024.11 ‘modbus.restart’ will be removed.

Not sure where to look, but I haven’t been able to find any more info so far about the reasoning and possible replacements.
As I rely on this functionality to make unreliable modbus compoments keep working, I am looking for an alternative to do this, without regularly completely restarting HA itself.

For the time beeing, I have an automation in place, that looks for specific modbus components and when they are unavailable for 5 minutes, the modbus hub is restarted. Afterwards the communication works again. For tests I changed the functionality to modbus.reload, but this yielded no functional result.

What would be my best course of action to prevent my setup from breaking with 2024.11?

Thanks and best regards,
thrym

1 Like

For the sledgehammer approach you could use a smart switch, a shelly switch or relay driven from your code that determines if “they are unavailable for 5 minutes”.

I could be completely wrong, but hope it helps.

As the modbus component in question is a heatpump, I doubt this is something I should be doing, thank you though

I actually meant re-power the modbus hub you mentioned in your post not the plant.

The modbus ‘hub’ is eqivalent to the entity name. So it’s a logical device, not a physical device.

I think “Modbus: Reload” is the new service to use. It seemingly reloads all modbus configuration instead of a specific hub. I have 3 hubs, and only one needs restarted occasionally, so I hope this works for all of them.