Desky Standing Desk (ESPHome) [Works with Desky, Uplift, Jiecang, Assmann & others]

Thanks for the reply. After browsing that list, it appears to be the JCB35NH2: Control Box JCB35NH2 - JIECANG

I’m only basing that off of the fact it has the same ports, looks to be the same size and is also 400w.

1 Like

So there’s a decent chance it should work with this project. You just need to keep an eye out for the “secondary or alternative protocol” mentioned in this thread (which is not yet supported).

1 Like

Just wanted to report back my findings. I got the desk working with Option #1 in the original post! I changed the units to inches and also changed my limits to match. Still tweaking with it slightly but it moves up and down and reports height in Home Assistant!

Thanks again for the help!

1 Like

Couple of pictures of my install if anyone is interested.

Glad to hear. Thanks for reporting back!
Looks like a neat build.

1 Like

Thanks! I had one last question. I’m actually using the “Desk Is Moving” state to control a zigbee plug that energizes/de-energizes an electromagnet that is mounted to my desk that attaches to a steel plate I mounted to my wall. Well, the zigbee plug is too slow to turn on/off with the “Desk Is Moving” state.

Do you think I could use an output on the D1 Mini that fires when that “Desk Is Moving” state is true?

Edit: disregard, I figured out how to add the output. Had to just play with it some more :slight_smile: I’m still fairly new to esphome in general. Super excited for this!

1 Like

You’ve got me curious about this!

Would you mind sharing the use case?

Yeah definitely. So, I am a big proponent of having a rigid benchtop and desktop, so I typically just bolt my desks to the wall with a big L bracket. Well, you obviously can’t do that with a standing desk, so I bought a piece of 6" x 30" steel and mounted it to the wall behind my desk and bought an electromagnet from amazon that is meant to hold doors shut. I printed a mount to hold the magnet to the desk and it has like a 350lb rating.

I’m currently using a zigbee plug with a 12v power supply plugged into it to control the electromagnet. Ideally, I’d like to control this zigbee plug with the “desk is moving” bit in home assistant, however there is too much delay between when I press the down button, and the zigbee plug turns off. It’s only like a second or two, but that’s enough to bind up the desk and cause the magnet to keep holding.

This is where my question came in. I plan on controlling the magnet with an output from the D1 to a relay that allows the 12v to go to the magnet instead. I think this will give a much more instant response than waiting for the zigbee plug. The magnet takes like 1-2 seconds to energize, however it de-energizes very quickly, allowing the desk to move.

Here are some pictures to get a better idea, and this is the electromagnet that I am using (I took it out of its case since that just added bulk).

Ah I see. So it is an anti-wobble device?

Yep. Albeit, maybe a little over-engineered or overkill, but that’s kind of why we’re all here, right? haha

1 Like

You might get a laugh out of one of my lockdown projects then. It was a bit of failure in the end but was fun to build.

Oh my goodness, this is amazing! Yeah, not going to mention “overkill” again, I now know I’m in the right place haha.

1 Like