Determine window state (tilted & open) with one sensor?

I’m currently using Aqara Door/window sensors.
However, I cannot differentiate between open windows and tilted windows with just one sensor and I don’t want to fit 2 of the sensors for this purpose?.

Does anyone know a trick to achieve this with one sensor?
Maybe a tilt/accelerometer based sensor instead of the magnetic contact?

Do you know this one?

This Aqara senses tilt, vibration etc

@hsepm No, I did not know the ELV one before, but it is exactly what I’m looking for. Unfortunately, i’m not on homematic, so I can’t use it.

@Holdestmade
The Aqara vibration sensor could detect the tilt, but I’m not sure about the swing open/close…
It could, of course, be used in addition to a normal window sensor to handle the tilt aspect.

Do you have experience with the vibration sensor? Does it expose accelerometer data?

Yes I’ve got one it regsiters vibration, orientation, tilt angle and vibration strength. I use it for detecting a lid on a box opening using the tilt part![aqara|526x496]

aqara

Just played with this and it will only detect tilt angles not swing so would work on top hung windows but not side hung windows/doors

I found an enocean window handle that also offers it, but also not on my list of radio standards :frowning:

Zwave or zigbee would be nice…

I have an idea to use a time of flight sensor to measure the distance to the door, from which you can calculate the angle the door is at

Well, two Aquara sensors still look cheap compared to the handle sensor. I would recommend that option.

Not so sure about the vibration sensor, I use one in an experimental setup to detect if my tumble dryer is in operation, finished or the door was opened. That does not work reliably.

Which controller are you using? I’m using this one and can only see the battery and vibration.

Using the Conbee controller

1 Like

What solution did you end up with?

Hi. I can Share what i did. I was looking for a solution a longo time ago, really didnt want to waste two zigbee sensors on it.

Luckily i bought an cheap zigbee door/window sensor that also have tamper button ( entity in home assistant) so i had an idea: why not connect a Reed sensor to the tilt button ( take the button out) and then use the entity Tamper has another window door sensor.

Then with an template sensor i know if the window is open, closed or tilted.

Important: the Tamper entity only is available with zigbee2mqtt

The sensor with Tamper is this:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqmkFeG

Are there any updates on this? I plan to buy Aqara Vibration sensors to detect tilt and swing open. The sensor reports a tilt value AND orientation values. Couldn’t you use the orientation to detect swing open and the tilt value for detecting a tilted window? Has anybody tried that out?

EDIT:
I tried the sensor, you can detect tilt in all orientations, but not a swing open. You would need a contact sensor to check for bot states.

The Hoppe SecuSignal windows handles work perfectly fine and don’t need a battery. All you need is a USB300 Enocean adapter. They are not expensive.