Developers wanted to integrate Polar heart rate sensors (with SDK) into Home Assistant

The Polar OH1 sensor is very comforable to wear. All the same, an Australian paper said, it is so accurate that it can be used instead of an ECG device:

There is a Polar Sensor Logger app with MQTT which should allow to connect it to Home Assistant. I tried it once, but I failed. Maybe someone more skilled and more patient than me manages to connect to sensor.

I went through the Integrations of Home Assistant ant came accross the USB Thermometer Temper, which is great. I reviewed some aspects of it on my personal website:

https://petergamma.org/usb-thermometer-temper1f/

There are Youtube videos for the TEMPer1F how to collect sensor data on an Android phone and on a Linux machine.

Does this sensor have an SDK? If so, it is really great. There is a big advantage of a sensor which can be easily connected to a Android Phone or a Linux PC, compared to other sensors, which do not allow this, for instance the Firstbeat Body Guard sensor:

https://petergamma.org/firstbeat-body-guard-and-home-assistant/

In contrast to the Firstbeat sensor, the Polar sensors have an SDK. An integration into Home Assisant would be highly desirable.

I know from my own little experience, how helpful it can be to have your heart rate on you PC or TC screen, especially if you are in trouble of letting go. Just watch your heart rate and wait until it trops.

It seems to use BLE/Gatt (polar-ble-sdk/Polar_Measurement_Data_Specification.pdf at 6a967212b116fc4cd4edc567026d3206b12f7ff1 Ā· polarofficial/polar-ble-sdk Ā· GitHub)

Worth asking the ā€œPassive BLE Monitorā€ guys , they might be interested in the challengeā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m looking for something like that too. Have you had any luck so far?

1 Like

Happy about every answer and info, thanks. Ikea lighbulbs can now be controlled over MQTT and Home Assistant. But as soon as we try to access sports sensor data by a certain app, my account gets locked in the Gamin forum, in the DC Rainmaker blog about the Polar OH1, comments appear Ā«go away, then it is o.k.Ā» Great that the community here is a bit more friendly.

Ā«Have you had any luck so far?Ā»

No, we did nt. But we found something even more challenging. The most accurate opitcal heart rate sensor on the planet:

1 Like