Device Actions in Developer Tools

Device Actions can be selected in the Automation editor, but there is not under Developer Tools. The typical flow when testing device automations is having to create a new automation, adding a new device action, running a given action, and then exiting the automation without saving it.

This feature request is about adding a new section to the existing Developer Tools to allow running device actions without having to use the Automation editor.

Unfortunately I am not able to see this “Enable UPS beeper/buzzer” under new avtomation - Action… any help?

See my other comment, but here is the video of how to do it using a script. It’d be easier if Device Actions were available as a separate tool.

ezgif-1-e1b10c5e22

+1 – as a new Home Assistant user, I find it confusing to navigate and discover which features of my device are available on the device info page under “configuration”, in the raw zigbee cluster command UI, under automations in the actions section, etc. It’s quite strange that these actions are only accessible from the automations screen.

+1 - I can call any service ad-hoc via developer tools, but not device actions. What is the reason to have device actions and not services anyway? Is this not effectively the same?

My perception…
They are somewhat dfferent code functions/processes inside HA. Services are registered by HA/Integrations and are like a wrapper to execute a particular function (which might be a device action) but device acrtions are just the actions that may be performed on a device.

Not completely although the net outcome of one vs the other might be the same. Codewise, how a program executes a service call is different that how it executes an action on a device. If I had to choose one or the other, my preference would be to have the integration register service calls, the function of which executes an action on a device, but for whatever reason the powers that be chose the less known, less used and less intuitive “device actions” for this integration. I fail to see why we couldn’t have been given both…

1 Like