Device Location from Wifi Signal Strength via Router/DD-WRT

I’m curious as to how feasible it would be to get signal strength from my router’s client list as either a sensor or device tracker attribute. The DD-WRT dashboard shows the signal strength in the wireless client list - when I move my phone from my office to my living room the signal drops from about -40 to -55. The Wiviz site scan feature even plots the relative location of devices in a 3D graphic (beamforming / directional features may be required for this).

While it may not be reliable enough to be the single source of truth for room-based presence detection (then again, I do have multiple routers…), it could overcome the constant struggle with phones dropping and rejoining the network while in sleep mode. Simply look at the signal strength trend - if it hits a certain downward threshold, confirm the device as away, otherwise check again in a few minutes.

This is essentially what the find app and server does.

I believe it can be integrated into HA using MQTT, but I have never used it as it would require everyone to carry a phone around at all times.

1 Like

There is already an example on find page.
https://www.internalpositioning.com/plugins/#using-find-without-an-app

1 Like