Device overheating on ESPHome but fine on tasmota

Hi,
I have purchased couple of https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004025767107.html devices. When I got them I have discovered that do not come with ESP chip but luckily the chip they have (BL2028N) is pin compatible with ESP-02S. So I have swapped the boards and as I was having problems mapping the GPIOs in ESPHome I have flushed tasmota as they have brilliant procedure for flushing new devices. I have followed that and got all the GPIOs mapped (button gpio13, led gpio4 inverted and relay gpio12).
Tasmota template:
{“NAME”:“Generic 16A”,“GPIO”:[0,0,0,0,56,0,0,0,21,17,0,0,0],“FLAG”:0,“BASE”:18}
I have ran that for a couple of hours on tasmota to test it and to play with it but as I do not have any tasmota devices but I have 30+ ESPHome devices I have decided flush it back with ESPHome.
I came up with this config:

switch:
  - platform: gpio
    name: "Switch"
    pin: 12
    id: relay
    restore_mode: RESTORE_DEFAULT_OFF

status_led:
  pin:
    number: 4
    inverted: yes

binary_sensor:
  - platform: gpio
    pin:
      number: 13
      mode:
        input: true
        pullup: true
      inverted: true
    name: "Button"
    on_press:
      - switch.toggle: relay

Everything works fine - button, status led and the relay however after 10-15 minutes the device got very hot and I am not really sure what to do with that.
When it was running tasmota for a couple of hours it was warm but not even close to how hot it got when it was running ESPHome.
Any ideas what might be wrong here?
Thanks

:toilet: :+1:

Just use a power save mode for wifi (by default that’s off for esp82xx’s in esphome):

wifi:
  power_save_mode: high
1 Like

I’m about to order some ESP-02S to attempt the same swap for a couple of plugs I can’t serial flash to ESPHome. I’m a novice at all of this and was pleased to find your post.

Did you fix the overheating issue?

no, I decided to stay with Tasmota for that specific device

Thanks. Will give it a go anyway… the plug is no good to me as it is. Will test it well away from anything that might catch fire and watch it closely. Will report back if I have success.

I had it running in my wooden shed for the last couple of months and the shed is still standing

but that’s on Tasmota isn’t it?

I understand your earlier post to say that the overheating was only on ESPHome, which is what I want to use.

I’ll try the wifi power save mode change suggested above and report back. Unless I wreck it with my very limited soldering skills!

I had the same problem on Gosund WP5 plug and the culprit was a floating GPIO15. Changing Wi-Fi settings didn’t make any difference. Details on ESPHome GitHub: Higher power consumption on power plug than other firmwares · Issue #1950 · esphome/issues · GitHub