Device tracker : update frequency (Companion app)

Hi there,

I use the companion app to “track” the location of my childs, and what I see since 2 of my chillds passed from Android phone to apple phone, is that the ones with Apple do have much LESS Frequancy update than the Android one :

Android :

Iphone :

As I recently configured the companion app on the iphones, it could be that I essed a kind of “update frequency” parameter somewhere, but I can not find it anywhere.

Is that a limitation on the companion app for Iphone, or something I am missing here ?

Many thanks !

Do you have permissions for location properly set in iOS?
Here is what I have:

BTW, in my experience Companion App (at least for iOS) is the WORST comparing to Life360 and Traccar for location tracking.

Here is another example showing the companion app on Iphone is not sending as many updates as the one on Android phone :

the permission is correctly set …

Though you seem to say I am not obliged to use the companion app to track / localize the cell phone ?

I am still annoyed with the Iphone with companion app installed where the update of the position is not as frequent as the updates for Android with Companion app.

I am still missing if this is a limitation of the companion app, or something else
;-(

I see in the lean time there are other apps like “OwnTracks” for example which can be used instead of Companion app on the Iphone …

do you have some experience in device tracking for Iphone please ? Many thanks !!!

Consider Traccar, it even allows to use an own server. Rather reliable, I would say.
But a stock Traccar Server integration was broken (stops updating when a connection with a server is lost and does not re-establish it) in 2024.5 with a little hope to be fixed by it’s author.

Home Assistant is dependent on IOS to give it control in the background, and is usually not as generous with that as android is. Some apps use tricks to get more background time. One of those tricks is to ask for permission to track health data such as steps, which requires more frequent measurements.
So what you could try is enable those sensors too, and grant the permissions for it. Maybe it will give the companion app more background time.

Interesting idea. Will test it.