"Device triggers" in AppDaemon

Hi, I’m trying to setup AppDaemon apps for some dimmer hue switches that I have connected using the ZHA integration. (I’m trying to migrate them off of the hue bridge, because the hue bridge is struggling controlling the number of switches that I have).

The switches only turn up in HA as devices not entities (except for the battery entity). And automations created by the HA ui for the device have triggers like this:

trigger:
  - device_id: de68085bd9a79a06723af9e674777003
    domain: zha
    platform: device
    type: remote_button_short_release
    subtype: turn_on

I’ve tried using appdaemons listen_event and get_state using the entity ID but it does not seem appdaemon is aware of it. And I see from this issue that this might be because the trigger is actually on something new that HA is calling a “device trigger”.

Seems that in order to get appdaemon to respond I’ll have to write HA automations triggered by the “Device trigger” and either fire an event or call an appdaemon app as a service, is that right?

There are events of type zha_event for the remotes. The blueprints created recently also use these events and not device triggers.

When you go to Developer Tools -> Events, add zha_event in the Listening Box and press start listening. Now when you press a button on the remote, you should see an event there.

1 Like

Ah-ha! So there are! Thanks very much @Burningstone