Devices becoming randomly unavailable in Home Assistant

Hello everyone, I’m having some issue with my wifi decices becoming randomly unavailable as then available.

My setup:

• I have Local Tuya setup. I removed cloud Tuya a while ago.
    -I have home assistant running on RPI4 and SDD. I keep all my system updated. On core_2022.2.5 now.
    -I have 3 dashboard around the house, one on old iPad and two on amazon kindle 5.
  • I also 4 z-wave (Smarthings hub)
  • 30 zigbee devices (Conbee II and dDeconz) and
  • 72 on wifi decices (tPlink Archer AX 20).
  • I have reserved IP for all the IoT decices, lighta, switches and cameras.

I can’t be exactly sure but I think the issue started just before core_2021.12.7.

I can see on my HA panel, the devices going offline, and then after minutes coming back online, randomly. Not all at the same time though. It seems like it happens with Tuya and Kasa based devices and Kasa.

I read that perhaps it has to do with the number of wifi devices on the router. I am wondering if anyone you have experienced similar issues and how you resolved it.

Thank you in advance.

I have the same, drives you nuts right :slight_smile:

I don’t trust some automations at this point which is very irritating. You can handle it better with node red to check if they are available or not and make it more reliable.

Local tuya works better than the cloud one, I setup both again to double check.

Have been messing arround with the wifi 2.4Ghz channel, check your router for the signal strenght, it seems that its quite related to the poor performance of it. (says more about the plugs then your router probably as other devices seem to have no issues)

@galletn , exactly. I cannot rely on the automation because of it. I use node red as well and I love it. I’ll try out what you suggested. Thank you for reading my long winded explanation and advising.

It maybe a bad news but I added Tuya cloud integration and it seems to be stable. This means something wrong with the Local Tuya or my setup with Local Tuya was faulty. :frowning:

A bit disheartened with Local Tuya. I had some devices going offline before, but I’d be able to fix it by removing and adding device, but this time I was all devices randomly becoming unavailable.

Oh well, at least my automations are back stable again. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi!! I have the same problem with Local Tuya and something caught my eye: Do you have a router that delivers 2.4G and 5G separately? Or is one of this new routers that gives you both 2.4/5G in one single wifi address?

Hi All,
Just had the same issue.
My router died and when I installed the new one, all IPs were assigned by DHCP.
In the previous router I had an IP reservation table so all entries had a persistent IP.
After installation, almost everything restarted except the one that measures the current to my fridge.
It remained stubbornly unavailable through core restarts, reboots etc.

So here is the section in the config_entryxxx.json that I think was causing it:

"data": {
    "config": {
      "entry_id": "84835d5789d6afa9d2af7b16665d4442",
      "version": 1,
      "domain": "esphome",
      "title": "fridgefuse",
      "data": {
        "host": "10.10.0.111",
        "port": 6053,
        "password": "**REDACTED**",
        "noise_psk": ""
      },

The IP was from the previous router and was not being updated. The IP was valid in the new router, but would have been returning an error.
So my guess is (IP+error) → no IP update → (IP+error)

Any thoughts?

BTW, the text file with the config information is accessed:

Settings>Devices&Services>(ESPHome devicename)>"1 device">"Device info"(three dots)>"Download diagnostics"

Can you explain where you were going with this logic? What’s the difference in usage between a router with one or two wifi addresses?

1 Like