Devices not appearing in search for Automations

If I’m trying to add an automation, If I add a device and then start searching, generally only 1 result comes back from that search. If I scroll down I can see all the devices and select the right one.

In the screenshots when I search for Garage, you can see only the Garage is returned as an option even thought there are a bunch of devices that match that when you scroll down. Has anyone else seen this? I thought it might have been a bug but it’s hung around for a couple of updates now.

CleanShot 2023-07-25 at 06.18.51@2x

Not sure I understand. :thinking:

My first thought is… Are the other items containing the word “Garage” actually devices? Could they be friendly names for entities relating to other devices not called garage?

My second throught is… Why is this nice chap (I see you enjoying a real pint :+1:) referencing devices in an automation? It’ll end in tears.

Two responses :slight_smile:

On them not appearing they are definitely devices as I can search for them in the devices screen

Here is a GIF of them disappearing as I search. This used to work fine 🤷
CleanShot 2023-07-28 at 07.52.02
CleanShot 2023-07-28 at 07.54.13

On the not referencing devices in automations… what is the best practice? I’m new to HA so anything I can do now to make my life easier down the track. I’ve been watching lots of vids and reading but I still have much to learn.

I refer you to my elders and betters:

1 Like

There is a bug in the recent versions of HA that causes it.

An issue has already been submitted by someone and the reports are that it should have been fixed but that’s not the case. So no idea when (or if) it will be addressed.

1 Like

This appears to be fixed for me in the latest version 8.1