DHCP issues

Nope, where can I find it off the network? What does it do for me?

Fixed the title, sorry for that.

It looks like 90% of the devices are “taken over” when that happens. One of the wired devices out of 9 stays online (a camerea where I have 5 of the same camera’s). It looks like they get their IP adresses from some kind of DHCP server starting with different numbers than I have configured my network. When I disconnect HA from the network and reset the router (Nightgear Nighthawk) everything comes back online again.

I understand the information is limited. If I was able to look at the Log file I would have lots of information and figured it out by now I guess. As stated it happens only once every couple of weeks and usually during th night. I have not caught it happening “in the act” yet.

What happens if you leave HA connected and reset the router?

Nothing, the network is still offline.

What integrations are you using? Pihole?

1 Like

What is it that makes you think that HA is acting as a DHCP server?

Home Assistant itself has no DHCP server capability. There are add-ons you can install that can do that though - like AdGuard, PiHole, and others.

1 Like

I use a variaty of integrations. TuyaV2, Shelly, ewelink, Mosquito MQTT, Bose none of which I can think off will take over my DHCP server… I do not use Pihole

Because my whole network gets offline. If I look at some of my switches I find them on a different (internal) IP adress.

Does it get a different address in the same subnet? Or something in a completely different subnet?

Is it possible that these compete for dhcp somehow?

I would do new install and resetup if I truly believed HA was cause. It is unlikely but if it was cause I’d expect any attempt to restore backup would have same result and new install was only option. Again, HA Not do dhcp but some addon can.

When it happens, connect your laptop and let it obtain an IP.

Then check with IPConfigg /all from which DHCP server it got the IP….
Once you know the IP address of the rogue DHCP server it should be easy to hunt it down :wink:

3 Likes

See aceindy’s response - you can’t just make wild assumptions about the cause, you need to find the actual cause :wink:

1 Like

Will try, I looked at IPConfig allready but did not find the server. IPConfig/all next thanks.

Hmmmm, I did not look at the subnet, will do next…

Network gets offline, or all/most/some devices changes IP?
I would check the new IP. One of possibly things is that DHCP doesn’t renew IP leases for some reason. In such cases devices fall back to their default IPs.

BTW router should have known fixed IP. I suggest you to setup HA to fixed IP too. If you ensure fixed IP for your main computer (or other client you used to work with) then you should be able to connect HA even if DHCP fails. BTW setting fixed IP addresses to major nodes in network is good practice.

Hi, very interesting thread :slight_smile: I’ve been struggling with this exact same issue for months, and I’m really stuck now. What is really weird is that everything goes back well (ie. every device is reachable and can be connected again, whatever the protocol) as soon as the power of the Raspberry 4 running the HA instance gets unplugged.
I understand there is no stock DHCP server in HA, but I also understand it looks like a DHCP issue: when it happens, my desktop computer randomly gets either its correct reserved ip (v4) address, or what looks like an ipv6 address (which I have no idea where it comes from), or just a self assigned IP (169…) every time I force the IP the be renewed.
I’m running out of troubleshooting ideas…

For the sake of troubleshooting, i suggest you tick off the use of ipv6, and only use ipv4 protocol only ?

Getting a self assigned IP4 would indicate your DHCP server is not running (or unreachable) :thinking:

1 Like

yoyooooooooooooo, nice name by the way…

Luckly I do not feel “alone in the world” anymore. Sorry to hear you have the same problem. As you describe it it is exaclty similar to my problem. If I unplug the raspberry 4 with HA the network gets back up. That makes me think it is somewhere on that raspberry 4 with only HA running on it. I am using IPv4 only with a self assigned IP asress in the rang of 10.0.0.1 till 10.0.0.240 most of the devices on a fixed IP adress. If “the other DHCP server” takes over it I saw a 169… adress once.

My most suspected HA addons are (although I checked them all already:

• Ewelink
  • ONVIF
  • Bose
  • ngix (which I only recently installed)

Just for info, as @yoyoooooooo mentioned, he get a ‘self assigned’ IP address in the 196 range.
This is a default address, generated by the network card (and NOT obtained from a DHCP server)

169.254.x.x: This is what’s called an Automatic Private IP address. An IP in this range means that the computer cannot see the network. A computer using DHCP needs to have an external server tell it what IP address to use. Unfortunately, if there’s no network connectivity, the computer is unable to talk to the server. In those cases, the computer will actually give itself an IP starting with 169.254, since it must assign itself some sort of number. When you see a 169.254.x.x address, you definitely have a problem. It could be as simple as an unplugged network cable, or it could be as complex as the network being down. A fair amount of troubleshooting is involved at this point, but the bottom line is that your computer doesn’t even see the network.
(What are some IP addresses that might indicate I have a network problem?)

Which might indicate that the network interface of the RPI4 is causing serious network issues, spamming the whole network, taking it down.
Have you ever tried to hook up a monitor and look if there are any issues? Any info in the LOGS ?

1 Like