DHT11 on RPi Zero HA Host not reading values

Hey All,
I can’t seem to get my DHT11 to report the values to HA.
I have the icons at the top of the UI, but no values.
I also keep getting these errors in the log:

2018-10-24 13:47:04 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.entity] Update of sensor.dht_sensor_temperature is taking over 10 seconds
2018-10-24 13:47:25 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sensor] Updating dht sensor took longer than the scheduled update interval 0:00:30
2018-10-24 13:48:37 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.entity] Update of sensor.dht_sensor_humidity is taking over 10 seconds
2018-10-24 13:48:58 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sensor] Updating dht sensor took longer than the scheduled update interval 0:00:30

I have tried different pins, checking the sensor using an Arduino.
I’m at a loss here guys.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

There is a problem with this component. I get these errors all the time. I am however also getting sensor readings.
Have you double checked the wiring?
How long are the connections between the DHT and Pi0. Anything over 1m when using 3.3V is a problem.
Do you have a pull-up resistor from 3.3V to the data pin of the DHT?
Which GPIO pins are you using?

Hey,
I’m using 5V, 15cm (1/2ft) cable, and have tried GPIO 4, 23, and 24.
it works fine with the normal adafruit script on both the Pi zero and an arduino uno but the HA one wont read even after a system reboot.
My sensor module has the resistor built in.

I set one of these up today using esphomeyaml with a DHT22 connected to D5 of a Wemos D1 mini.

sensor:
  - platform: dht
    pin: D5
    temperature:
      name: "Dining Room Temperature"
    humidity:
      name: "Dining Room Humidity"
    update_interval: 15s

It did not work.

After much fiddling with the hardware I noticed an mqtt debug message that indicated it was using the model DHT11 so I tried specifying the model: DHT22

sensor:
  - platform: dht
    pin: D5
    model: DHT22
    temperature:
      name: "Dining Room Temperature"
    humidity:
      name: "Dining Room Humidity"
    update_interval: 15s

After recompiling - Bingo! All working.

EDIT: all of which means nothing to you because you are using a Pi zero. Sorry I got carried away after getting this woking.