Differences HA-Versions

Hi,

After reading some web pages I have to say that I do not understand the differneces between all those HA-versions, even facebook did not solve this…

• HassBian is a special Raspbian version for Raspberry Pi, based on RaspBian
  • HassOS is a special OS just for HA
  • Hass.IO is a HA plus the Hass.IO-panel for easy plugin installation
  • HA itself for installing on most of the linux distributions

All I want now is an image for running Home Assistant AND the hass.io-panel (for easy installing of plugins) on a Raspberry Pi 4 using Docker. Docker, because I want the Raspberry Pi 4 to run more services like pi hole, homebridge and Awtrix server, for example - like it is possible on a stock raspbian buster.

Could someone tell me which version I have to choose, please ?

:man_facepalming:

:smile:

Anyway…

I’m not sure how these instructions need modified for installing on a RPi4 but here is how to do it on a RPi3 or on many other Linux based machines:

https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/#alternative-install-on-a-generic-linux-host

:roll_eyes: you asked the same question 14 days ago.

2 Likes

Right… perhaps, I am a bit confused by the HA website. For some reason, it does not describe these differences and their target group.

Anyway, the other threads solution was to install a generic linux and installing HA manually, without the hass.io panel.

Later I read: hass.io or hassOS offer images for RPi4. These images are running HA with hass.io panel using docker. So, which one does offer this? And, I did not find the information if installing more services like pi hole is possible.

No it wasn’t. I told you if you wanted the hassio menu and add-ons you had to install hassio.

The installation page literally tells you that you can install hassio on generic Linux install, and everything you need is right there.

Hassio. Full stop.

HassOS is ONE method of installation of home assistant. It’s a customized docker host. It’s an OS on its own. Hassio runs as containers inside the docker environment.

You can run hassio in Docker also, following the directions literally on the installation page.

You could also run home assistant docker (not hassio) in any distro you like.

You also have the ability to install it via python in any OS. Hassbian is a prebuilt Raspbian that has home assistant installed and running in a python virtual environment.

All of these ways present the exact same HOME ASSISTANT to you. The hassio add-ons are nothing more than other docker containers running alongside home assistant. Hassio is merely home assistant with extra apps. Not sure how else to explain it.

So you didn’t look at add-ons at all? I guess you didn’t realize that you can run pihole on a Raspbian install either in docker alongside home assistant or using the add-on if you have hassio running? Or standalone on the Raspbian OS?

Did you actually even read the link I posted for you above?

It tells you there how to install hassio on a linux machine using Docker. It’s literally right there.

Of course you didn’t find that information there because that is a website about how to install hassio.

It’s up to (not HA) to figure out if you can run other stuff on that machine. One way of doing that is by asking on here. It seems like the question has been answered but you aren’t accepting the answer for some reason.

There’s lots of ready made addons for things like PiHole available for hass.io The available addons are not a secret!

Yes they are!!! Shhh!

2 Likes