Different icon for on/off in glance card

Is it possible to have the icon change on glance cards based on state ?

i.e. I have a group/switch I would like to just have in a glance card and clicking and hold long press works great but the icon never changes.

Any way to have glance card have such visual indication ?

Here is what I have so far:

- type: glance
       title: Winter Garden
       show_name: false
       entities:
        - entity: group.winter_garden_lights
          icon: mdi:lightbulb-outline
          tap_action:
            action: toggle
      - sensor.temperature_winter_garden
      - timer.timer_winter_garden
1 Like

Good question, did you find a solution?

Nope I did not.

I just found it doesnā€™t work for a group but it does for a light group. As your group.winter_garden_lights seems to be a ā€œnormalā€ group, try adding them to a light group.

1 Like

I accomplish what I think you are looking for with andrey-gitā€™s CustomUI elements. I still have Lovelace frontend obviously but use Tileboard primarily now so havenā€™t changed much on this in a while.

Custom UI

1 Like

Thatā€™s a big repo - got a more specific pointer where you setup the state icon handling ?

Once you install and activate CustomUI (it isnā€™t as complicated as it looks), you can set the icon state by domain in configuration.yaml or by individual entity in customize.yaml. Below is mine for the lights domain from my configuration.yaml.

customize_glob:
    light.*:
      custom_ui_state_card: state-card-custom-ui
      templates:
        icon: "if (state === 'on') return 'mdi:lightbulb'; else return 'mdi:power-standby';"
        icon_color: "if (state === 'on') return 'rgb(239, 239, 0)'; else return 'rgb(3, 169, 244)';"
1 Like

ah this is non-lovelace; nice idea but bummer it doesnā€™t seem to work in lovelace. thanks for the pointer.

Lovelace is just a frontend for the rest of Homeassistant. Good luck though

ooh now i get it - customize_glob can override the values before lovelace sees themā€¦okey, that could be useful for sure :wink:

gah - I got my hopes up - the templates part is only honored by the custom ui state cardā€¦so not sure I follow how this would get understood by lovelace? what am I missing?

Do you have CustomUI installed and activated per the instructions on the github site? Once you do that and update either your configuration.yaml (domain) or customize.yaml (individual entities) then the icons will change however you set them to change. Lovelace is just the UI. The icons would still change by state in the old UI with CustomUI enabled.

what iā€™m missing is how those dynamic templates gets evaluated since its javascript so how is that executed/applied when lovelace doesnā€™t know about the ui-state-card?

Magic of HomeAssistant I guess. Iā€™m no expert; I just know it works. Perhaps the confusion is with ā€˜ui-state-cardā€™. That exists independent of Lovelace and is not a card in the sense of a Lovelace card. I used the CustomUI set up (with the ui-state-card set up) prior to Lovelace even existing. The CustomUI set-up Iā€™ve referenced changes the entity and/or domain icons within HomeAssistant based on their individual state. Lovelace is just pulling the state icon into the frontend. Lovelace is not actually changing the state icon; CustomUI is.

ah - its not the actual card that does this - its the custom component named ā€œcustomizerā€ enabled via:

customizer:
custom_ui: local

now it starts making sense.

Yes Sir. I did the 1.2 manual activation from the github instructions but any of them aligned with your HA version will work.

Let me know if you get stuck. These forums were invaluable to me; happy to return the favor if I can.

1 Like

Sorry to restart an old thread, but I was looking to achieve the same outcome of a different icon based on state and came across this. Tdw, as it happens, I am pretty much trying to create the same kind layout that you have in the screenshot above. I have the CustomUI elements from andrey-git installed, but I canā€™t figure out for the life of me how to get the light groupings to come out like you have in the Custom UI. Are they seperate buttons?

Would you mind providing a quick rundown of what you utilised to achieve this?

I love the theme :slight_smile: Could you share the source?

And, iā€™m sorry for bumping this topicā€¦ I didnā€™t think that through, before pressing ā€œPostā€ :slight_smile:

I never saw this reply to me before. Are you still looking for help on that setup? Apologies for not getting back to you sooner.