Different way to get Chromecast Audio (CCA) working with Alexa (echo) and HA

Hey guys I have been looking for a way to integrate my echo device with my chromecast audio devices. THis way is far from perfect but it seems pretty consistent

Essentially I am just streaming the Line out of the echo to a Line In on my macbook (this is for testing ill be using a differnet computer or my hypervisor)

I have an icecast server setup which was very very easy and I use the application called Butt on my macbook.

So I now have a stream that is always on and I turn on that stream to my speakers when I want to hear audio. This way I can still use the chromecast multi room features.

Unfortunately there are two things I need to work out.

1. need to split the audio from the output of the echo dot to the Line In port AND a small speaker because once you have it connected to the line out port you cant use the built in speakers.
    In the same sense ill have to figure out a way to disable the audio once it is playing from the chromecast audio speakers.

2. Unfortunately the echo dot devices dont actually see each other or talk to each other since they are two completely seperate devices. This makes it difficult to start a different stream from the other echo device. Ill probably need to bridge these sources together somehow possibly through a mixer.

3 Likes

Neat hack!