Difficulties with installation of Home Assistant Operating System on Generic X86-64

Hi All,
I have a box formerly used as a thin client, Fujitsu Futro S700. The box is driven by an AMD G-T44R CPU which should be 64bit] and 2GB of RAM.
I wanted to do an Home Assistant Operating System install as described in the documentation. I’m not 100% sure if the box and the BIOS support UEFI.
I have unmounted the built in 2GB mSATA SSD as I assume it’s too small for a HA installation anyway.
Then I selected an 256GB SSD to which i wrote the HAOSS image with balena Etcher.
When I attahced the disk to my Futro and booted I selected the boot menu and selected the UEFI partition from the formerly mentioned SSD to be used as boot device.

Then I rund into a boot problem as documented in the following two screenshots

Any idea about what goes wrong? Any hint or guidance what I can do?

Looking forward to your feedback and to any help!

Best regards

Bernhard

1 Like

Allthough apparently no one had a clue about the issue or at least no one wanted to respond, it seems I have found the issue myself. The device Fujitsu Futro S700 does not support UEFI boot and HAOS apparently does not provide any other boot option!

I have acquired meanwhile a HP T620 thin client device and I managed to install HAOS on that device.

I’m currently installing Microsoft OS on the Futro S700, where I have uograded the internal mSATA SSD from the original 2GB to 32GB. Additionally I will upgrade RAM from 2GB to 4GB and then I will experiment with the device and a CAN-Bus 2 USB Adapter to read from and write to the controller of our heating system.

So if anyone finds this topic:

1. Thin client Fujitsu Futro S700 is not capable of UEFI boot and hence cannot run HAOS!
  2. Thin client HP T620 can easily run HAOS and its M.2 SSD can easily be upgrade as well as its RAM!

Have a great rest of the Sunday and a great week!

3 Likes

@ Bernie_HD

Yeah, I find that folks on here are not super-helpful. I too bought an HP t620 for the soul-purpose of putting HA-OS on it. I originally tried it on a t610 - same issues with UEFI and also a concern with a glitchy power supply port on it.

My HP t620 came with a built in WiFi and Bluetooth card (well miniPCI) and I wanted to use that for HA. Multiple posts in the forums and even went to ALPINE LINUX forums (the base OS of the HassIO system). No-one could help (or would). The WiFi card with came with the system is a Broadcom -and even though Ubuntu and Debian both can see it and with some help use both - Alpine does not. There are no drivers “supposedly”. Long story.

I ordered from Amazon an Intel Network 6235AN.HMWWB Centrino WiFi Card Half Mini PCI Express Advanced-N 6235 Dual Band Bluetooth – which I am hoping is going to work - weeks of reading and apparently Broadcom in general and Linux - no-likie-each-other. LOL I download Alpine 3.15 and installed on an old Thinkpad T61 with the (non-Bluetooth version of this card) and I get WiFi with no problems at all.

I came across this post because I installed Home assistant myself on an HP T620
Unfortunately I can’t connect SSH for remote control and my samba shares don’t work.
Do you not use these or have you not encountered any problems with this?
Have a nice day,
Jeffrey

Comments like this certainly won’t win friends or influence people:

You are attempting to run HA on hardware that either no one or very few have before. Please read the very first point here.

1 Like

Which cpu does your t620 have?
Do you know how much power your device is consuming?

Best regards

Just to let you know I’ve found a fix to install and boot HAOS on Fujitsu Futro S720 intenal 8GB msata disk.
Use a ubuntu live iso and boot to try ubuntu.
Then using the disk tool to write the HAOS img file to internal disk.
And now to the magick trick that is actually documented on Home Assistants webpage: Generic x86-64 - Home Assistant

run this in terminal in the live ubuntu os:
sudo efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/sda --part 1 --label “HAOS” --loader ‘\EFI\BOOT\bootx64.efi’

Hope this helps some people. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello Henrik.
I also bought a FUTRO S720 because there are some videos on YT how to install HomeAssistant on it.
Unfortunately this does not work for me at all. Also used your addition “sudo efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/sda --part 1 --label “HAOS” --loader ‘\EFI\BOOT\bootx64.efi’” which brings back the message “EFI variables are not possible on this system” for me.
Attached is my procedure:
installed xubuntulive on a USB stick
started the S720 with the USB
xubunut not installed, but only live
started firefox in xubuntu
downloaded BalenaEtcher, copied it to the desktop and set the access permissions to “read and write” and "execute
flashed with BalenaEtcher hassio generic with the link to the internal SSD.
Then run in a terminal window “sudo efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/sda --part 1 --label “HAOS” --loader ‘\EFI\BOOT\bootx64.efi’”.
shut down xubunut and removed USB stick.
Changed boot order on startup with F12 and selected HAOS.

The S720 changes to the PXE boot menu and that’s it.

Installed Xubuntu from the USB to the SSD, that works???

Does anyone know any more advice?

best regards
Willi

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

Hallo Henrik.
Ich habe mir auch eine FUTRO S720 gekauft, da auf YT einige Videos zu sehen sind, wie HomeAssistant darauf installiert wird.
Leider klappt dies bei mir überhaupt nicht. Habe auch Deinen Zusatz “sudo efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/sda --part 1 --label “HAOS” --loader ‘\EFI\BOOT\bootx64.efi’” verwendet, was bei mir die Meldung “EFI Variablen sind nicht möglich auf diesem System” zurückbringt.
Anbei meine Vorgangsweise:
auf einen USB-Stick xubuntulive installiert
S720 mit dem USB gestartet
xubunut nicht installiert, sondern nur live
in xubuntu den Firefox gestartet
BalenaEtcher runtergeladen, auf den Desktop kopiert und die Zugriffsberechtigungen auf “lesen und schreiben” sowie “Ausführen” gesetzt
mit BalenaEtcher hassio generic mit dem Link auf die interne SSD geflasht.
Anschliessend in einem Terminalfenster “sudo efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/sda --part 1 --label “HAOS” --loader ‘\EFI\BOOT\bootx64.efi’” ausgeführt
xubunut heruntergefahren und USB-Stick entfernt.
Beim Starten mit F12 auf die Bootreihenfolge gewechselt und HAOS gewählt.

Der S720 wechselt ins PXE-Bootmenue und das wars.

Habe Xubuntu vom USB auf die SSD installiert, das funktioniert???

Weiß jemand noch einen Rat?

schöne Grüße
Willi

Have you updated BIOS ? → https://www.fujitsu.com/fts/Images/UEFI-vulnerabilities-affected-and-unaffected-products-rev1.3.pdf

Even being a moderator on the forum doesn’t make your post more valuable to any extend!

I’ve had a problem, posted about it, found a solution myself and shared what I learned. That should be good enough for a newbie on the forum…

So what exactly do you want to tell, @tom_l ?

I thought my post was very clear. I have nothing to add other than wishing you a merry Christmas.

Hello togetherness

Thanks for the information with the BIOS.
It is the latest version on it.

Unfortunately I didn’t manage to install HomeAssistant os on the FUTRO S720 (2013).
Bought a “newer” ThinClient (2017). There it worked.

Thanks anyway

Hallo Miteinander

Danke für die Information mit dem BIOS.
Es ist die letzte Version drauf.

Leider habe ich es nicht geschafft auf dem FUTRO S720 (2013) HomeAssistant OS zu installieren.
Habe mir einen “neueren” ThinClient (2017) gekauft. Da funktionierte es.

Trotzdem vielen Dank

1 Like

i actually have this same problem. Futro S720, seems like it supports UEFI only on USB ports ?

This line is a bit different in HAOS webpage, it has extra \ in between ?

efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/<drivename> --part 1 --label "HAOS" \
   --loader '\EFI\BOOT\bootx64.efi'

That extra \ is just to tell the shell to ignore the line break, in other words to tell it you’re not done typing and to treat the next line as a continuation of the line. Basically, both the \ and the line break get thrown away.

By the way, if you really can’t get UEFI working and need to use legacy BIOS boot see my instructions here: Install HA on old laptop without UEFI - #20 by dbrand666

3 Likes

Ah ok, thnx. Allways nice to learn new :slight_smile: Last time i tried with official intallation docs efibootmanager line, it did not work for some reason, but using this line here on Forum, it worked… I must have done something wrong first time

Hi to all that find this, like I have a few hours (many more than I care to admit).

I successfully Installed the Gernerig HAOS on an Futro s720. I had a few hicups on the way but the one that is important here is, that the BIOS diddnt see HAOS as boolable after flsching.

the s720 supports UEFI but it doesn’t let you configuration a Path if it doesn’t detect it.

the solution using this efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/<drivename> --part 1 --label "HAOS" \ --loader '\EFI\BOOT\bootx64.efi' didn’t work for me at first like a few other people have written here.

to get it to work i needed to boot the live ubuntu stick in uefi. that is simple if you know it the s720 gives you two boot options for the stick one has ufei: in front of the name of the boot medium. that is the one you need to use.

when not using it I just got a this system dosent suport efi error back.

after that it boot normaly in HAOS

2 Likes

Hi to all Futro S740 user,
die oben beschriebene Vorgehensweise hat bei mir leider nicht funktioniert. In Summe habe ich wahrscheinlich 10 Stunden und Hunderte von Posts benötigt ;-(
Meine SSD wurde nach wie vor nicht gefunden.
Erst als ich eine andere Methode angewandt habe, hat es funktioniert.
Diese Methode geht so:
Erstellen eine bootfähigen USB.Stick mit CloneZilla
Erstellen eines bootfähigen USB-Stick mit Home Assistant (X86-64) z.B. via Etcher
Booten des Futro mittels CloneZilla Stick.
Nutzen der CloneZilla Funktion Copy from Disk to Disk.
Das ganze dauert ein paar Minuten … aber es funktionierte bei mir auf Anhieb.

1 Like

I had no issues (that I recall - been a couple of weeks :-0 - with installing generic-x86-64 via ubuntu live enviroment. I installed it on a HPT620 (quad core). I replaced the 16G drive with 120G drive ($17 Amazon) - and installed 8G simm to bring the ram up to 12G. I installed “Glances” to show system util information - and I was amazed at how little resources are needed. I inadvertently ordered what I thought was a T620 - it was a T520 - to be used as a backup. The 520 is dual core - only 1 simm slot - fewer USB ports - outside of that pretty similar - and it was $25 shipped on ebay. Upgraded to 120G.and 8G memory…make a Clonezilla backup (via SSH for convenience) from my production T620 - and “restored” that image to the T520.Worked perfectly once I tweaked the nic interfaces with nmcli - the T620 named the nic enp2s0 - the 520 enp1s0. No sure this would have been an issue but I’m using VLAN interfaces in my enviroment (VL200 is where I keep all of my iOT devices - and I did not want that traffic to have to cross a firewall to get to my HA server. Here is the current snapshot of system util at this moment on the slower T520:

I’ve installed these containers: mosquitto, mariadb, esphome, glances, and ssh.

As for tontzes comment below with the missing backslash I don’t know if that was the problem, but it didn’t workt the first time for me on a Futro 920 either. It did work on the second try. Only difference… I switched off all legacy options ("CSM) in the boot menu before installing. And did not use the obviosly unneccessary backslash.

I did remove the previous efi entry as explained on the first google result.

It’s currently saying it will need another 20 minutes via LAN, but it’s already running, so far.