Dim a group of lights simultaneously

Hello,

Just wondering: I have created some automations for my IKEA bulbs. I.e. Please help: automation for IKEA TRADFRI remote control (E1524/E1810)

I’m wondering: is it possible to

• group a set of bulbs
  • send a command to the group
  • all the members of the group react simultaneously

thus something like

action:
      data_template:
        entity_id: light.MYGROUP
        brightness: "{{ [state_attr('light.MYGROUP', 'brightness') - 50, 1] | max }}"
      service: light.turn_on

can this be done?

thanx in advance!

kind regards,
Bart

Wouldn’t the entity_id be group.mygroup.
I would be interested in this as I currently use nodered to just dim lights together.

You can but in my experience they don’t all react simultaneously.

I have varying light levels through the day.
The automation(s) is are triggered by a state change in an input_number. I suppose you could do that in nodered too but it seems simple enough. My transitions are set to 180 seconds on segment changes like this so I don’t notice any racing between lights.
I’m sure that Taras could define a template to act only on lights that are on if you feel that you only want one automation.

You can but in my experience they don’t all react simultaneously.

@Holdestmade

That was my experience too and I found it very annoying. :weary:

Fortunately in 0.101, this was added/merged and was stated in the release notes.

This made all my lights/light groups react simultaneously or at least improved it so much that there isn’t that noticeable “hitch” between lights turning on/off. :+1:

I’ve been waiting for someone to fix that annoying issue for a long, long time… so thanks @mjrider !!! :tada:

1 Like