Disable motion triggered light when turned on manually

I have a dumb ceiling light in my kitchen, which is controlled by a Shelly1. The normal light switch is directly coupled to the Shelly’s relays to have quick response. Operating the Shelly in ‘Detached Mode’ to toggle the light via an home assistant automation delays the actual response of the light compared to when the switch is pressen.

In addition to this, I have a Aquara Motion Sensor, which I use to turn on the light, but as this is not a presence sensor, it does sometimes fail and turns off the light, whilst someone is still in the kitchen (i.e. it is a great automation for when entering the kitchen to grab something, but it is poor for whenever someone is doing something in the kitchen, although my motion triggered automation already has a cool down period). … That said I should probably level up and get a Everything Presence 1

My thinking has been, that whenever the light switch is operated manually to turn on the kitchen light, the motion triggered light automation should be disabled until the light is manually switched off.

Motion Triggered Light Automation
- alias: Light - Motion in Kitchen
  id: 'light_kitchen_motion'
  trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: binary_sensor.motion_kitchen
    to: 'on'
  #If motion is detected within the delay, the automation is restarted.
  mode: restart
  max_exceeded: silent

action:
  - choose:
    - conditions:
      #Turn kitchen light on automatically upon detected motion, in case ambient is dark 
      - condition: template
        value_template: "{{ (states('sensor.lightlevel_kitchen') | int < states('input_number.illuminance_cut_off_kitchen') | int) }}"
      sequence:
      - service: light.turn_on
        entity_id: light.kitchen
    default: []
  #Do not turn of the light in case kitchen appliances are running  
  - choose:
    - conditions:
      - condition: state
        entity_id: device_tracker.thermomix
        state: 'home'
      sequence:
      - wait_for_trigger:
          platform: state
          entity_id: device_tracker.thermomix
          to: 'not_home'
    default: []
  - wait_for_trigger: #No more motion detected
      platform: state
      entity_id: binary_sensor.motion_kitchen
      to: 'off'
    #Wait a little longer before turning light back off  
  - delay: "{{ states('input_number.no_motion_wait_kitchen') | int }}"
  - service: light.turn_off
Switch Triggered Automation
- alias: Light - Kitchen Light Automation Switch
  id: 'light_kitchen_automation_switch'
  trigger:
    platform: event
    event_type: shelly.click
    event_data:
      device: shelly1-CAFEAFFEDEAF  #Shelly 1 Küche

action:
    #Delay to consider light.kitchen may not be reported on immediatly upon button press
    - delay: 2 #seconds
    - if: #Light has just been turned on by the switch and now evaluates to 'on'
      - condition: state
        state: 'on'
      then: #Disable motion light automation (i.e. light remains on until manually turned off.)
      - service: automation.turn_off
        entity_id: automation.light_motion_in_kitchen
      else: #Automation is re-enabled, whenever the light is manually turned-off.
      - service: automation.turn_on
        entity_id: automation.light_motion_in_kitchen

However I struggle to get the logic right. The automation keeps enabling the automation, when I expect it to disable it and vice versa.

1 Like

One idea: Create a Toggle helper (input_boolean) to track whether the light was turned on by the motion-detected automation.

You can then check this input_boolean in the motion-stopped automation and only turn off the light if it’s still set (and then remember to clear the input_boolean).

You could also clear this input_boolean whenever you turn on the light with the switch (even if the light is already on, and thus override the auto-light).

Entity controller from HACS does this.

He I was able to reproduce the first steps but unfortunately not the others. “You could also clear this input_boolean whenever you turn on the light with the switch (even if the light is already on, and thus override the auto-light).” Do you have an example for me (yaml) ? Thanks in advanced

You already have an automation for the switch, so just add an action to turn off the input_boolean.

Btw. it’s better to split the motion triggered automation into two separate automations. One for when the motion sensor triggers to detected and one for when the motion sensor has been cleared for some specified time. Using wait_for_trigger isn’t the best way to go about this, as having lingering automations isn’t best practice.

Thanks for your answer. I configure one motion automation with the input boolean and one to switch it off. This will clear the Boolean. But there is no difference in the UI if the automation triggers the light or myself via the shelly PM.